Python Program To Add Two Numbers Represented By Linked Lists- Set 1
Given two numbers represented by two lists, write a function that returns the sum list. The sum list is a list representation of the addition of two input numbers.
List1: 5->6->3 // represents number 563
List2: 8->4->2 // represents number 842
Resultant list: 1->4->0->5 // represents number 1405
Explanation: 563 + 842 = 1405 Input:
List1: 7->5->9->4->6 // represents number 75946
List2: 8->4 // represents number 84
Resultant list: 7->6->0->3->0// represents number 76030
Approach: Traverse both lists and One by one pick nodes of both lists and add the values. If the sum is more than 10 then make carry as 1 and reduce sum. If one list has more elements than the other then consider the remaining values of this list as 0.
The steps are:
- Traverse the two linked lists from start to end
- Add the two digits each from respective linked lists.
- If one of the lists has reached the end then take 0 as its digit.
- Continue it until both the end of the lists.
- If the sum of two digits is greater than 9 then set carry as 1 and the current digit as sum % 10
Below is the implementation of this approach.
First List is 7 5 9 4 6 Second List is 8 4 Resultant list is 5 0 0 5 6
- Time Complexity: O(m + n), where m and n are numbers of nodes in first and second lists respectively.
The lists need to be traversed only once.
- Space Complexity: O(m + n).
A temporary linked list is needed to store the output number
Related Article: Add two numbers represented by linked lists | Set 2
Please refer complete article on Add two numbers represented by linked lists | Set 1 for more details!