Pigeonhole sorting is a sorting algorithm that is suitable for sorting lists of elements where the number of elements and the number of possible key values are approximately the same.
It requires O(n + Range) time where n is number of elements in input array and \’Range\’ is number of possible values in array.
Working of Algorithm :
- Find minimum and maximum values in array. Let the minimum and maximum values be \’min\’ and \’max\’ respectively. Also find range as \’max-min-1\’.
- Set up an array of initially empty “pigeonholes” the same size as of the range.
- Visit each element of the array and then put each element in its pigeonhole. An element arr[i] is put in hole at index arr[i] – min.
- Start the loop all over the pigeonhole array in order and put the elements from non- empty holes back into the original array.
Sorted order is : 2 3 4 6 7 8 8
Please refer complete article on Pigeonhole Sort for more details!
- Python Program to print digit pattern
- Python | Extract key-value of dictionary in variables
- Python program to convert time from 12 hour to 24 hour format
- Google Chrome Dino Bot using Image Recognition | Python
- Python | Use of __slots__
- Python - Summation of float string list
- Python | Animated Banner showing 'GeeksForGeeks'
- Python | Segregate list elements by Suffix
- Python Program for Selection Sort
- Python Program for Bubble Sort
- Python Program for Insertion Sort
- Python Program for Heap Sort
- Python Program for Counting Sort
- Python Program for Radix Sort
- Python Program for n-th Fibonacci number