A package is a piece of software that provides particular features while programming. A package contains all the resources which a module requires. Modules are sets of Python code that we can add to our project. Python
pip is the package manager for Python packages.
pip comes pre-installed on 3.4 or older versions of Python,
pip commands are used in the command prompt.
The basic syntax of
pip commands in command prompt is:
Some of the most commonly used
pip commands are:
- Check pip version: We can check the pip version in our system by using the below command.
- Install packages: We can install additional packages by using the below command.
<pip install numpy
Example 1: When the required package is not installed.
Example 2: When the required package is already installed.
We can also install the package of a specific version.
pip install package_name==version
- Display package information: We can use the below command to display the details of a particular package.
pip show numpy
- List installed packages: The below command displays a list of packages installed in the system.
- Uninstall packages: The below command uninstall a particular existing package.
pip uninstall numpy
- Search packages: We can search for a particular existing package using pip.
pip search numpy
- Using requirement files: Checks if a required package is present in the system, if not then they are installed. Suppose
requirements.txthas the below contents:
pip install -r requirements.txt
- Listing additional packages: The
freezecommand is used to list packages that don’t come pre-installed with Python.
- Reusable piece of python functionality for wrapping arbitrary blocks of code : Python Context Managers
- Python - Read blob object in python using wand library
- Python | PRAW - Python Reddit API Wrapper
- Important differences between Python 2.x and Python 3.x with examples
- MySQL-Connector-Python module in Python
- Python | Convert list to Python array
- Python | Merge Python key values to list
- Python | Index of Non-Zero elements in Python list
- twitter-text-python (ttp) module - Python
- Reading Python File-Like Objects from C | Python
- Python | Sort Python Dictionaries by Key or Value
- Python | Set 4 (Dictionary, Keywords in Python)
- Python | Add Logging to Python Libraries
- Python | Add Logging to a Python Script
- Python | Visualizing O(n) using Python
- max() and min() in Python
- Python | a += b is not always a = a + b
- try-except vs If in Python
- abs() in Python
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.