Python is a great language for doing data analysis, primarily because of the fantastic ecosystem of data-centric Python packages. Pandas is one of those packages and makes importing and analysing data much easier.
isspace() is a string method, it checks for All-Space characters in a series and returns True for those elements only. Since it is a string method, str has to be prefixed every time before calling this method.
Return type: Boolean Series
In this example, a series is made from a python list using Pandas .Series() method. The series is by default a string series with some elements as All-space.
str.isspace() method is called on the series and the result is stored in variable result1 and displayed.
As shown in the output, True was returned wherever corresponding element was All-space else False was returned. Also as it can be seen, the last element in the series is
np.nan and hence the output was also NaN.
Series 1 results: 0 False 1 False 2 True 3 False 4 False 5 True 6 NaN dtype: object
Example #2: Handling error and converting series using
Since this is a string method applicable only on string series. Applying it on numeric series returns value error. Hence data type of the series has to be converted to str for this method to work. Data type of series is converted using Pandas
As it can be seen, calling this method on numeric series returns a value error. The data needs to be converted to str using .astype() method. Since all values were numeric and not all-space, False was returned for all values.
Error occured - Can only use .str accessor with string values, which use np.object_ dtype in pandas Series 2 results: 0 False 1 False 2 False 3 False 4 False dtype: bool
- Pandas.cut() method in Python
- Python | pandas.to_numeric method
- Python | pandas.date_range() method
- Python Pandas - get_dummies() method
- Python | pandas.period_range() method
- Python | Pandas Dataframe.describe() method
- Python | Pandas Series.plot() method
- Python | Pandas DataFrame.to_html() method
- Python | Pandas DataFrame.to_latex() method
- Python | Filtering data with Pandas .query() method
- Python | Pandas Dataframe/Series.tail() method
- Python | Pandas Dataframe/Series.head() method
- Select first or last N rows in a Dataframe using head() and tail() method in Python-Pandas
- Python | pandas.to_markdown() in Pandas
- Python | pandas.map()
- DataFrame.read_pickle() method in Pandas
- DataFrame.to_excel() method in Pandas
- Python | Pandas PeriodIndex.day
- Python | Pandas dataframe.sum()
- Python | Pandas dataframe.min()