Python is a great language for doing data analysis, primarily because of the fantastic ecosystem of data-centric Python packages. Pandas is one of those packages and makes importing and analysing data much easier.
isspace() is a string method, it checks for All-Space characters in a series and returns True for those elements only. Since it is a string method, str has to be prefixed every time before calling this method.
Return type: Boolean Series
In this example, a series is made from a python list using Pandas .Series() method. The series is by default a string series with some elements as All-space.
str.isspace() method is called on the series and the result is stored in variable result1 and displayed.
As shown in the output, True was returned wherever corresponding element was All-space else False was returned. Also as it can be seen, the last element in the series is
np.nan and hence the output was also NaN.
Series 1 results: 0 False 1 False 2 True 3 False 4 False 5 True 6 NaN dtype: object
Example #2: Handling error and converting series using
Since this is a string method applicable only on string series. Applying it on numeric series returns value error. Hence data type of the series has to be converted to str for this method to work. Data type of series is converted using Pandas
As it can be seen, calling this method on numeric series returns a value error. The data needs to be converted to str using .astype() method. Since all values were numeric and not all-space, False was returned for all values.
Error occured - Can only use .str accessor with string values, which use np.object_ dtype in pandas Series 2 results: 0 False 1 False 2 False 3 False 4 False dtype: bool
- Python | pandas.period_range() method
- Python | pandas.to_numeric method
- Python | pandas.date_range() method
- Python | Pandas Series.plot() method
- Python | Pandas DataFrame.to_html() method
- Python | Pandas DataFrame.to_latex() method
- Python | Pandas Dataframe.describe() method
- Python | Pandas Dataframe/Series.tail() method
- Python | Pandas Dataframe/Series.head() method
- Python | Filtering data with Pandas .query() method
- Python | pandas.map()
- Python | Pandas Panel.mod()
- Python | Pandas dataframe.mad()
- Python | Pandas DataFrame.loc
- Python | Pandas.factorize()
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.