Python is a great language for doing data analysis, primarily because of the fantastic ecosystem of data-centric Python packages. Pandas is one of those packages and makes importing and analyzing data much easier.
astype() is the one of the most important methods. It is used to change data type of a series. When data frame is made from a csv file, the columns are imported and data type is set automatically which many times is not what it actually should have. For example, a salary column could be imported as string but to do operations we have to convert it into float.
astype() is used to do such data type conversions.
Syntax: DataFrame.astype(dtype, copy=True, errors=’raise’)
dtype: Data type to convert the series into. (for example str, float, int)
copy: Makes a copy of dataframe/series.
errors: Error raising on conversion to invalid data type. For example dict to string. ‘raise’ will raise the error and ‘ignore’ will pass without raising error.
Return type: Series with changed data types
To download the data set used in following example, click here.
In the following examples, the data frame used contains data of some NBA players. The image of data frame before any operations is attached below.
In this example, the data frame is imported and .dtypes is called on the data frame to view the data types of series. After that some columns are converted using .astype() method and the dtypes are viewed again to see the changes.
As shown in the output image, the data types of columns were converted accordingly.
- Change the data type of a column or a Pandas Series
- Add a Pandas series to another Pandas series
- Convert a series of date strings to a time series in Pandas Dataframe
- Convert Series of lists to one Series in Pandas
- Get the data type of column in Pandas - Python
- Python | Pandas series.cumprod() to find Cumulative product of a Series
- Python | Pandas Series.str.replace() to replace text in a series
- Python | Pandas Series.cumsum() to find cumulative sum of a Series
- Python | Pandas series.cummax() to find Cumulative maximum of a series
- Python | Pandas Series.cummin() to find cumulative minimum of a series
- Python | Pandas Series.nonzero() to get Index of all non zero values in a series
- Python | Pandas Series.mad() to calculate Mean Absolute Deviation of a Series
- Convert the column type from string to datetime format in Pandas dataframe
- How to convert a Pandas Series to Python list?
- Change Data Type for one or more columns in Pandas Dataframe
- How to Check the Data Type in Pandas DataFrame?
- Converting Series of lists to one Series in Pandas
- Python | Pandas Series.data
- Convert a NumPy array to a Pandas series
- Pandas - Convert the first and last character of each word to upper case in a series
Improved By : golesarpavan