OS module in Python provides functions for interacting with the operating system. OS comes under Python’s standard utility modules. This module provides a portable way of using operating system dependent functionality.
os.stat() method in Python performs stat() system call on the specified path. This method is used to get status of the specified path.
path: A string or bytes object representing a valid path
Return Type: This method returns a ‘stat_result’ object of class ‘os.stat_result’ which represents the status of specified path. The returned ‘stat-result’ object has following attributes:
- st_mode: It represents file type and file mode bits (permissions).
- st_ino: It represents the inode number on Unix and the file index on Windows platform.
- st_dev: It represents the identifier of the device on which this file resides.
- st_nlink: It represents the number of hard links.
- st_uid: It represents the user identifier of the file owner.
- st_gid: It represents the group identifier of the file owner.
- st_size: It represents the size of the file in bytes.
- st_atime: It represents the time of most recent access. It is expressed in seconds.
- st_mtime: It represents the time of most recent content modification. It is expressed in seconds.
- st_ctime: It represents the time of most recent metadata change on Unix and creation time on Windows. It is expressed in seconds.
- st_atime_ns: It is same as st_atime but the time is expressed in nanoseconds as an integer.
- st_mtime_ns: It is same as st_mtime but the time is expressed in nanoseconds as an integer.
- st_ctime_ns: It is same as st_ctime but the time is expressed in nanoseconds as an integer.
- st_blocks: It represents the number of 512-byte blocks allocated for file.
- st_rdev: It represents the type of device, if an inode device.
- st_flags: It represents the user defined flags for file.
Note: Some attributes are platform dependent and are subject to availability.
Code: Use of os.stat() method
os.stat_result(st_mode=33188, st_ino=795581, st_dev=2056, st_nlink=1, st_uid=1000, st_gid=1000, st_size=243, st_atime=1531567080, st_mtime=1530346690, st_ctime=1530346690)
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course. And to begin with your Machine Learning Journey, join the Machine Learning – Basic Level Course