OS module in Python provides functions for interacting with the operating system. OS comes under Python’s standard utility modules. This module provides a portable way of using operating system dependent functionality.
os.pread() method in Python is used to read at most n bytes from the file associated with the given file descriptor at a position of given offset value.
If the end of the file has been reached while reading bytes from the given file descriptor,
os.pread() method will return an empty bytes object for all bytes left to be read and also it does not affect the file offset value.
A file descriptor is small integer value that corresponds to a file that has been opened by the current process. It is used to perform various lower level I/O operations like read, write, send etc.
os.pread() method is intended for low-level operation and should be applied to a file descriptor as returned by
Syntax: os.pread(fd, n, offset)
fd: A file descriptor representing the file to be read.
n: An integer value denoting the number of bytes to be read from the file associated with the given file descriptor fd.
offset: An integer value denoting the offset bytes.
Return Type: This method returns a bytestring which represents the bytes read from the file associated with the file descriptor fd at a position of given offset value.
Consider the below text as the content of the file named Python_intro.txt.
Python is a widely used general-purpose, high level programming language. It was initially designed by Guido van Rossum in 1991 and developed by Python Software Foundation. It was mainly developed for emphasis on code readability, and its syntax allows programmers to express concepts in fewer lines of code. Python is a programming language that lets you work quickly and integrate systems more efficiently.
b'Python is a widely used general-purpose, high leve' b'sed general-purpose, high level programming langua'
- class method vs static method in Python
- Difference between Method Overloading and Method Overriding in Python
- Get() method for dictionaries in Python
- Real-Time Edge Detection using OpenCV in Python | Canny edge detection method
- Python Program to detect the edges of an image using OpenCV | Sobel edge detection method
- Line detection in python with OpenCV | Houghline method
- Python | os._exit() method
- Python | os.WEXITSTATUS() method
- Python | os.abort() method
- Python | os.renames() method
- Python | os.lseek() method
- Python calendar module | formatmonth() method
- Python | PyTorch sin() method
- Python | Sympy Line.is_parallel() method
- Python PIL | GaussianBlur() method
- Python | range() method
- Python | Numpy np.hermefit() method
- Python | Numpy np.hermevander() method
- Python String Title method
- Python groupby method to remove all consecutive duplicates
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.