OS module in Python provides functions for interacting with the operating system. OS comes under Python’s standard utility modules. This module provides a portable way of using operating system dependent functionality.
All functions in os module raise OSError in the case of invalid or inaccessible file names and paths, or other arguments that have the correct type, but are not accepted by the operating system.
os.geteuid() method in Python is used to get the current process’s effective user id while
os.seteuid() method is used to set the current process’s effective user id.
Effective User ID: It is normally same as real user ID but it is changed to enable a non-privileged user to access files that can only be accessed by root. Effective user ID is used for most access checks. It is also used as the owner for the files created by the process.
os.geteuid() methods are available only on UNIX platforms and functionality of
os.seteuid() method is typically available only to the superuser as only superuser can change user id.
Superuser means a root user or an administrative user who has all the permissions to run or execute any program in the operating system.
Parameter: No parameter is required
Return Type: This method returns an integer value which represents the current process’s effective user id.
Effective user ID of the current process: 1000
euid: An integer value representing new effective user ID for the current process.
Return Type: This method does not return any value.
Effective user ID of the current process: 0 Effective user ID changed Effective user ID of the current process: 1000
- Difference between Method Overloading and Method Overriding in Python
- Python | Using variable outside and inside the class and method
- class method vs static method in Python
- Difference between Method and Function in Python
- Python PIL | logical_and() and logical_or() method
- Python PIL | ImageChops.subtract() and ImageChops.subtract_modulo() method
- Python | forget_pack() and forget_grid() method in Tkinter
- Python math library | isfinite() and remainder() method
- Python PIL | ImageEnhance.Color() and ImageEnhance.Contrast() method
- Python PIL | ImageChops.screen() and ImageChops.offset() method
- Python PIL | MedianFilter() and ModeFilter() method
- Python PIL | getbands() and getextrema() method
- Python PIL | paste() and rotate() method
- Python | os.getgid() and os.setgid() method
- Python | os.getuid() and os.setuid() method
- Python | focus_set() and focus_get() method
- Python PIL | MinFilter() and MaxFilter() method
- Python | os.getresuid() and os.setresuid() method
- Python | os.getegid() and os.setegid() method
- Python | os.getresgid() and os.setresgid() method
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.