OS module in Python provides functions for interacting with the operating system. OS comes under Python’s standard utility modules. This module provides a portable way of using operating system dependent functionality.
os.fstatvfs() method in Python is used to get information about the file system containing the file associated with the given file descriptor. To get file system information the method performs statvfs() system call on the path associated with the given file descriptor.
A file descriptor is small integer value that corresponds to a file or other input/output resource, such as a pipe or network socket. It is an abstract indicator of a resource and act as handle to perform various lower level I/O operations like read, write, send etc.
For Example: Standard input is usually file descriptor with value 0, standard output is usually file descriptor with value 1 and standard error is usually file descriptor with value 2.
Further files opened by the current process will get the value 3, 4, 5 an so on.
os.fstatvfs() method is available on Unix platforms only.
fd: A file descriptor for which file system information is required.
Return Type: This method returns an object of class ‘os.statvfs_result’ whose attributes represents the information about the filesystem containing the file associated with the given file descriptor.
The returned os.statvfs_result object has following attributes:
- f_bsize: It represents the file system block size
- f_frsize: It represents the fragment size
- f_blocks It represents the size of fs in f_frsize units
- f_bfree: It represents the number of free blocks
- f_bavail: It represents the number of free blocks for unprivileged users
- f_files: It represents the number of inodes
- f_ffree: It represents the number of free inodes
- f_favail: It represents the number of free inodes for unprivileged users
- f_fsid: It represents the file system ID
- f_flag: It represents the mount flags
- f_namemax: It represents the maximum filename length
os.statvfs_result(f_bsize=4096, f_frsize=4096, f_blocks=59798433, f_bfree=56521834, f_bavail=53466807, f_files=15261696, f_ffree=14933520, f_favail=14933520, f_flag=4096, f_namemax=255) File system block size: 4096 Number of free blocks: 56517297
- Difference between Method Overloading and Method Overriding in Python
- class method vs static method in Python
- Python | set() method
- Python | next() method
- Python | os.dup() method
- Python | os._exit() method
- PUT method - Python requests
- Python | os.WEXITSTATUS() method
- Python | os.abort() method
- Python PIL | ImageChops.add() method
- Python PIL | copy() method
- Python PIL | composite() method
- GET method - Python requests
- Python | sympy.crt() method
- Python | os.fsdecode() method
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : Akanksha_Rai