OpenCV-Python is a library of Python bindings designed to solve computer vision problems.
cv2.ellipse() method is used to draw a ellipse on any image.
Syntax: cv2.ellipse(image, centerCoordinates, axesLength, angle, startAngle, endAngle, color [, thickness[, lineType[, shift]]])
image: It is the image on which ellipse is to be drawn.
centerCoordinates: It is the center coordinates of ellipse. The coordinates are represented as tuples of two values i.e. (X coordinate value, Y coordinate value).
axesLength: It contains tuple of two variables containing major and minor axis of ellipse (major axis length, minor axis length).
angle: Ellipse rotation angle in degrees.
startAngle: Starting angle of the elliptic arc in degrees.
endAngle: Ending angle of the elliptic arc in degrees.
color: It is the color of border line of shape to be drawn. For BGR, we pass a tuple. eg: (255, 0, 0) for blue color.
thickness: It is the thickness of the shape border line in px. Thickness of -1 px will fill the shape by the specified color.
lineType: This is an optional parameter.It gives the type of the ellipse boundary.
shift: This is an optional parameter. It denotes the number of fractional bits in the coordinates of the center and values of axes.
Return Value: It returns an image.
Image used for all the below examples:
Using thickness of -1 px and rotation of 30 degrees.
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course.
- OpenCV - Facial Landmarks and Face Detection using dlib and OpenCV
- Transition from OpenCV 2 to OpenCV 3.x
- Real-Time Edge Detection using OpenCV in Python | Canny edge detection method
- Python Program to detect the edges of an image using OpenCV | Sobel edge detection method
- Line detection in python with OpenCV | Houghline method
- Python | Corner detection with Harris Corner Detection method using OpenCV
- Python | Corner Detection with Shi-Tomasi Corner Detection Method using OpenCV
- Python OpenCV | cv2.imread() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.imshow() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.imwrite() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.line() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.rectangle() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.circle() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.putText() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.cvtColor() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.copyMakeBorder() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.arrowedLine() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.blur() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.erode() method
- Python OpenCV: Optical Flow with Lucas-Kanade method
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.