OpenCV-Python is a library of Python bindings designed to solve computer vision problems.
cv2.copyMakeBorder() method is used to create a border around the image like a photo frame.
Syntax: cv2.copyMakeBorder(src, top, bottom, left, right, borderType, value)
src: It is the source image.
top: It is the border width in number of pixels in top direction.
bottom: It is the border width in number of pixels in bottom direction.
left: It is the border width in number of pixels in left direction.
right: It is the border width in number of pixels in right direction.
borderType: It depicts what kind of border to be added. It is defined by flags like cv2.BORDER_CONSTANT, cv2.BORDER_REFLECT, etc
value: It is an optional parameter which depicts color of border if border type is cv2.BORDER_CONSTANT.
Return Value: It returns an image.
The borderType flags are described below:
cv2.BORDER_CONSTANT: It adds a constant colored border. The value should be given as next argument.
cv2.BORDER_REFLECT: The border will be mirror reflection of the border elements. Suppose, if image contains letters “abcdefg” then output will be “gfedcba|abcdefg|gfedcba“.
cv2.BORDER_REFLECT_101 or cv2.BORDER_DEFAULT: It does the same works as cv2.BORDER_REFLECT but with slight change. Suppose, if image contains letters “abcdefgh” then output will be “gfedcb|abcdefgh|gfedcba“.
cv2.BORDER_REPLICATE: It replicates the last element. Suppose, if image contains letters “abcdefgh” then output will be “aaaaa|abcdefgh|hhhhh“.
Image used for all the below examples:
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course.
- OpenCV - Facial Landmarks and Face Detection using dlib and OpenCV
- Transition from OpenCV 2 to OpenCV 3.x
- Real-Time Edge Detection using OpenCV in Python | Canny edge detection method
- Python Program to detect the edges of an image using OpenCV | Sobel edge detection method
- Line detection in python with OpenCV | Houghline method
- Python | Corner detection with Harris Corner Detection method using OpenCV
- Python | Corner Detection with Shi-Tomasi Corner Detection Method using OpenCV
- Python OpenCV | cv2.imread() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.imshow() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.imwrite() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.line() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.rectangle() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.circle() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.putText() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.ellipse() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.cvtColor() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.arrowedLine() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.blur() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.erode() method
- Python OpenCV: Optical Flow with Lucas-Kanade method
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.