Background Subtraction is one of the major Image Processing tasks. It is used in various Image Processing applications like Image Segmentation, Object Detection, etc. OpenCV provides us 3 types of Background Subtraction algorithms:-
Normally, we can perform background Subtraction using matrix subtraction, i.e, just subtracting the static frame from the video. But this has a lot of drawbacks. It is a very less efficient algorithm for Background subtraction because it does not update itself. This problem is being handled by the Background Subtraction algorithms provided by OpenCV.
To use BackgroundSubtractorMOG we can use
Then we can apply it using the “apply” method on each frame of the video. Consider the below example for a better understanding of the topic.
In the previous subtractor worked fairly well but in real-world situations, there is also a presence of shadows. In BackgroundSubtractorMOG2, we can also detect shadows and in the output of the following code, it’s clearly seen. To apply BackgroundSubtractorMOG2, use
This algorithm combines statistical background image estimation and per-pixel Bayesian segmentation. It employs a probabilistic foreground segmentation algorithm that identifies possible foreground objects using Bayesian inference. To use BackgroundSubtractorGMG, use
Note: We will get a black window during first few frames.
- Python | Background subtraction using OpenCV
- Background subtraction - OpenCV
- Arithmetic Operations on Images using OpenCV | Set-1 (Addition and Subtraction)
- Background Subtraction in an Image using Concept of Running Average
- Python | How to get Subtraction of tuples
- Python | Subtraction of dictionaries
- Python | Nested Tuples Subtraction
- Python | Nth tuple index Subtraction by K
- Python | Mutual tuple subtraction in list
- Python program for addition and subtraction of complex numbers
- OpenCV - Facial Landmarks and Face Detection using dlib and OpenCV
- Python OpenCV: Meanshift
- OpenCV Python Tutorial
- Gun Detection using Python-OpenCV
- Python OpenCV | cv2.imread() method
- Python OpenCV – cv2.transpose() method
- Python OpenCV | cv2.imwrite() method
- OCR of English alphabets in Python OpenCV
- Python OpenCV | cv2.arrowedLine() method
- Pedestrian Detection using OpenCV-Python
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.