Given a list of N integers, find the maximum and minimum element’s position in the list.
Input : 3, 4, 1, 3, 4, 5 Output : The maximum is at position 6 The minimum is at position 3
The naive approach will be to traverse in the list and keep a track of the minimum and maximum along with their indices. We have to do N comparisons for minimum and at the same time N comparisons for maximum.
Python inbuilt function allows us to find it in one line, we can find the minimum in the list using the min() function and then us index() function to find out the index of that minimum element. Similarly we can do the same for finding out the maximum element using max() function and then find out the index of the maximum element using index() inbuilt function in python.
Note : index() returns index of first occurrence in case there are multiple occurrences of an element. So if maximum(or minimum) occurs more than once, first occurrence is returned.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
The maximum is at position 6 The minimum is at position 3
- Python | Selective Merge list every Nth position
- Python | Shift last element to first position in list
- Python | Position Summation in List of Tuples
- Python | Add element at alternate position in list
- Python | Find frequency of given character at every position in list of lists
- Python | Find maximum length sub-list in a nested list
- Python | Maximum absolute difference list of list
- Python | Maximum sum of elements of list in a list of lists
- Python | Maximum and Minimum in a Set
- Python | Maximum and Minimum value from two lists
- Python | Minimum element in tuple list
- Python | Get first element with maximum value in list of tuples
- Python | Maximum element in tuple list
- Python | Consecutive Maximum Occurrence in list
- Python | Positions of maximum element in list
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : Akanksha_Rai