Python: Map VS For Loop
Map in Python :
- Map is used to compute a function for different values ‘in a single line of code ‘ .
- It takes two arguments, first is function name, that is defined already and the other is list, tuple or any other iterables .
- It is a way of applying same function for multiple numbers .
- It generates a map object at a particular location .
- It works fast when we call an already defined function on the elements
Note: For more information refer to Python map() function.
for loop in Python :
- We use for loop to repeat a block of code for fixed number of times .
- Used when no results are required .
- To perform sequential traversal .
- Loop from 0 to n runs n+1 times .
for var in iterable : statements
Note: Here, var is the name given to iterating variable, iterable can be replaced by range() function and they can be of any data type . Statements are the step of actions to be performed .
Note: For more information, refer to Python For Loops.
<map object at 0x7fe413cf9b00> [0, 1, 9, 20.25, 9801, 0.0064] 0 1 9 20.25 9801 0.0064
Map vs for loop
- Comparing performance , map() wins! map() works way faster than for loop. Considering the same code above when run in this ide.
using for loop:
- for loop can be with no content, no such concept exist in map() function.
# we use the keyword 'pass'
# to simply get a for loop
# with no content
- There can be an
forloop which only runs when no
breakstatement is used. There is nothing like this in
# for loop with else condition
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Finished !
- for loop can exit before too. We can do that using
breakstatement. Exiting before expected is not possible in map.
- map generates a map object, for loop does not return anything.
- syntax of map and for loop are completely different.
- for loop is for executing the same block of code for a fixed number of times, the map also does that but in a single line of code.
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course. And to begin with your Machine Learning Journey, join the Machine Learning – Basic Level Course