The sort function can be used to sort a list in ascending, descending or user defined order.
To sort the list in ascending order.
This will sort the given list in ascending order.
This function can be used to sort list of integers, floating point number, string and others.
[1, 2, 3, 4]
['code', 'geeks', 'ide', 'practice']
To sort the list in descending order.
This will sort the given list in descending order.
[4, 3, 2, 1]
Sorting user using user defined order.
list_name.sort(key=…, reverse=…) – it sorts according to user’s choice
[(1, 1), (1, 2), (3, 3)] [(3, 3), (1, 2), (1, 1)]
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Comparison among Bubble Sort, Selection Sort and Insertion Sort
- Python | Sort list of list by specified index
- Python | Sort list according to other list order
- Python | Sort Flatten list of list
- Python - Sort dictionaries list by Key's Value list index
- Sort the values of first list using second list in Python
- Python | Convert list of string to list of list
- Python | Convert list of tuples to list of list
- Python | Convert List of String List to String List
- Why Quick Sort preferred for Arrays and Merge Sort for Linked Lists?
- Odd-Even Sort / Brick Sort
- Bucket Sort To Sort an Array with Negative Numbers
- Sort all even numbers in ascending order and then sort all odd numbers in descending order
- Serial Sort v/s Parallel Sort in Java
- Program to sort an array of strings using Selection Sort
- C/C++ Program for Odd-Even Sort / Brick Sort
- Java Program for Odd-Even Sort / Brick Sort
- Insertion sort to sort even and odd positioned elements in different orders
- Quick Sort vs Merge Sort
- Odd Even Transposition Sort / Brick Sort using pthreads
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : shubham_singh