pop() is an inbuilt function in Python that removes and returns last value from the list or the given index value.
index (optional) - The value at index is popped out and removed. If the index is not given, then the last element is popped out and removed.
The last value or the given index value from the list
When index is out of range, it returns IndexError
Code #1 :
6 New List after pop : [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] 4 ('cat', 'bat') 3 New List after pop : [1, 2]
Code #2 :
6 [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] 1 [2, 3, 4, 5]
Code #3 : IndexError
Traceback (most recent call last): File "/home/1875538d94d5aecde6edea47b57a2212.py", line 5, in print(list1.pop(8)) IndexError: pop index out of range
Practical Example :
A list fruit contains fruit_name and property saying its fruit. Another list consume has two items juice and eat. With the help of pop() and append() we can do something interesting.
[['Orange', 'Fruit', 'Juice'], ['Orange', 'Fruit', 'Eat'], ['Banana', 'Fruit', 'Juice'], ['Banana', 'Fruit', 'Eat'], ['Mango', 'Fruit', 'Juice'], ['Mango', 'Fruit', 'Eat']]
- List Methods in Python | Set 2 (del, remove(), sort(), insert(), pop(), extend()...)
- Python Set | pop()
- Python | Pandas Dataframe.pop()
- Python Dictionary | pop() method
- Python | Pandas Series.pop()
- Wand push() and pop() in Python
- PyQt5 - Show pop up items of ComboBox when push button is pressed
- PyQt5 - Closing pop up items of ComboBox when push button is pressed
- PyQt5 QCalendarWidget - Enabling/Disabling Date Edit Pop-Up
- PyQt5 QCalendarWidget - Checking if Date Edit Pop-Up is enabled or disabled
- PyQt5 QCalendarWidget - Setting Date Edit (Pop-Up) Accept Delay Property
- PyQt5 QCalendarWidget - Getting Date Edit (Pop-Up) Accept Delay
- Python | Convert list of string to list of list
- Python | Convert list of tuples to list of list
- Python | Convert List of String List to String List
- Python | Maximum sum of elements of list in a list of lists
- Sort the values of first list using second list in Python
- Python List Comprehension | Segregate 0's and 1's in an array list
- Python | Pair and combine nested list to tuple list
- Python | Filter a list based on the given list of strings
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.