In Python, anonymous function means that a function is without a name. As we already know that
def keyword is used to define the normal functions and the
lambda keyword is used to create anonymous functions. It has the following syntax:
lambda arguments : expression
- This function can have any number of arguments but only one expression, which is evaluated and returned.
- One is free to use lambda functions wherever function objects are required.
- You need to keep in your knowledge that lambda functions are syntactically restricted to a single expression.
- It has various uses in particular fields of programming besides other types of expressions in functions.
<function <lambda> at 0x7f268eb16f28>
In this above example, the lambda is not being called by the print function but simply returning the function object and the memory location where it is stored.
So, to make the print to print the string first we need to call the lambda so that the string will get pass the print.
Example #3: Difference between lambda and normal function call
Example #4: The lambda function gets more helpful when used inside a function.
Now power is set to 2 8 powerof 2 = 64 Now power is set to 5 8 powerof 5 = 32768
We can also replace list comprehension with Lamba by using a
map() method, not only it is a fast but efficient too and let’s also see how to use lambda in the
Example #5: filter() and map()
[100, 2, 8, 60, 4, 10] [True, True, True, True, False, True, False, False, True, False]
- Overuse of lambda expressions in Python
- Python | sympy.Lambda() method
- Lambda and filter in Python Examples
- Python lambda (Anonymous Functions) | filter, map, reduce
- Python | Find fibonacci series upto n using lambda
- Map function and Lambda expression in Python to replace characters
- Lambda expression in Python to rearrange positive and negative numbers
- Intersection of two arrays in Python ( Lambda expression and filter function )
- Ways to sort list of dictionaries by values in Python - Using lambda function
- Python | Find the Number Occurring Odd Number of Times using Lambda expression and reduce function
- Python | Convert list to Python array
- Python | Index of Non-Zero elements in Python list
- Reading Python File-Like Objects from C | Python
- Important differences between Python 2.x and Python 3.x with examples
- Python | Merge Python key values to list
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.