Grayscaling is the process of converting an image from other color spaces e.g RGB, CMYK, HSV, etc. to shades of gray. It varies between complete black and complete white.
Importance of grayscaling –
- Dimension reduction: For e.g. In RGB images there are three color channels and has three dimensions while grayscaled images are single dimensional.
- Reduces model complexity: Consider training neural article on RGB images of 10x10x3 pixel.The input layer will have 300 input nodes. On the other hand, the same neural network will need only 100 input node for grayscaled images.
- For other algorithms to work: There are many algorithms that are customized to work only on grayscaled images e.g. Canny edge detection function pre-implemented in OpenCV library works on Grayscaled images only.
Below is the code to Grayscale an image-
Faster code –
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course.
- Arithmetic Operations on Images using OpenCV | Set-2 (Bitwise Operations on Binary Images)
- Python | Create video using multiple images using OpenCV
- Erosion and Dilation of images using OpenCV in python
- Addition and Blending of images using OpenCV in Python
- Python | Denoising of colored images using opencv
- Python - Process images of a video using OpenCV
- Drawing with Mouse on Images using Python-OpenCV
- Measure similarity between images using Python-OpenCV
- Concatenate images using OpenCV in Python
- Stitching input images (panorama) using OpenCV with C++
- Draw geometric shapes on images using OpenCV
- Arithmetic Operations on Images using OpenCV | Set-1 (Addition and Subtraction)
- Java Program to Blur Images using OpenCV
- Python OpenCV - Depth map from Stereo Images
- OpenCV - Facial Landmarks and Face Detection using dlib and OpenCV
- Transition from OpenCV 2 to OpenCV 3.x
- Image resizing using Seam carving using OpenCV in Python
- Get emotions of images using Microsoft emotion API in Python
- How to download Google Images using Python
- Python | Working with PNG Images using Matplotlib
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.