Given a list, find the most frequent element in it. If there are multiple elements that appear maximum number of times, print any one of them.
Input : [2, 1, 2, 2, 1, 3] Output : 2 Input : ['Dog', 'Cat', 'Dog'] Output : Dog
Approach #1 : Naive Appraoch
This is a brute force approach in which we make use of for loop to count the frequency of each element. If the current frequency is greater than the previous frequency, update the counter and store the element.
Approach #2 : Pythonic Naive appraoch
Make a set of the list so that the duplicate elements are deleted. Then find the highest count of occurrences of each element in the set and thus, we find the maximum out of it.
Approach #3 : Using Counter
Make use of Python Counter which returns count of each element in the list. Thus, we simply find the most common element by using
Approach #4 : By finding mode
Finding most frequent element means finding mode of the list. Hence, we use mode method from statistics.
Approach #5 : Using Python dictionary
Use python dictionary to save element as a key and its frequency as the value, and thus find the most frequent element.
Approach #6 : Using pandas library.
Incase of multiple values getting repeated. Print all values.
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course.
- Find the k most frequent words from data set in Python
- Find the most frequent value in a NumPy array
- Python program to crawl a web page and get most frequent words
- Kth most frequent Character in a given String
- How to display most frequent value in a Pandas series?
- Python | Find top K frequent elements from a list of tuples
- Python | Find most common element in each column in a 2D list
- Python | Find most common element in a 2D list
- Python - Least Frequent Character in String
- ML | Frequent Pattern Growth Algorithm
- Replace missing white spaces in a string with the least frequent character using Pandas
- Python - List with most unique elements
- Python | Slicing list from Kth element to last element
- Python | Insert Nth element to Kth element in other list
- Python | Replace elements in second list with index of same element in first list
- Python | Move one list element to another list
- Python | Indices list of matching element from other list
- Python | Subtract two list elements if element in first list is greater
- Python program to get the indices of each element of one list in another list
- Python | Convert list of string to list of list
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : sandeepmidde