Given a tuple and a list as input, write a Python program to count the occurrences of all items of the list in the tuple.
Input : tuple = ('a', 'a', 'c', 'b', 'd') list = ['a', 'b'] Output : 3 Input : tuple = (1, 2, 3, 1, 4, 6, 7, 1, 4) list = [1, 4, 7] Output : 6
Approach #1 : Naive Approach
The first approach is the naive approach. Use a for loop and traverse through the given list and count the occurrence of each item of tuple in a list. Finally, return the count.
Approach #2 : Using Counter
From Python Collections module, import counter to solve the given problem. A Counter is a container that keeps track of how many times equivalent values are added. Having saved the resultant in ‘counts’, we use a for loop and count how many times each item in list occurs in ‘counts’ and sum it to give the final output.
Approach #3 : Using Set
Another method of solving the given problem is using set data structure. Simply convert the given list into a set, which removes all duplicates. And now, for each item of list, count its occurrence in tuple and sum them.
Approach #4 : Using Python dictionary
Get each item of tuple and its frequency as key:value pair in Python dictionary, then using a for loop, for each item of list, count its occurrence in tuple and sum them.
Approach #5 : Python
Python numpy gives us a direct method to find the solution for the given problem, and that is
numpy.in1d(). This method test whether each element of a 1-D array is also present in a second array. Since list is also a 1-D array, this method can be applied here.
- Python - Count elements in tuple list
- Python | Count the elements in a list until an element is a Tuple
- Python | Join tuple elements in a list
- Python - Count elements in record tuple
- Python | Count the elements till first tuple
- Python | Swap tuple elements in list of tuples
- Python | Binary Group Tuple list elements
- Python | Extend tuples by count of elements in tuple
- Python | Sort tuple list on basis of difference of elements
- Python | Sort tuple based on occurrence of first element
- Python | Sort tuple list by Nth element of tuple
- Python - Raise elements of tuple as power to another tuple
- Python | Count tuples occurrence in list of tuples
- Python | Find all elements count in list
- Python program to create a list of tuples from given list having number and its cube in each tuple
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.