Speech Recognition is an important feature in several applications used such as home automation, artificial intelligence, etc. This article aims to provide an introduction on how to make use of the
pyttsx3 library of Python.
- Python Speech Recognition module:
pip install speechrecognition
- PyAudio: Use the following command for linux users
sudo apt-get install python3-pyaudio
Windows users can install pyaudio by executing the following command in a terminal
pip install pyaudio
- Python pyttsx3 module:
pip install pyttsx3
Speech Input Using a Microphone and Translation of Speech to Text
- Allow Adjusting for Ambient Noise: Since the surrounding noise varies, we must allow the program a second or too to adjust the energy threshold of recording so it is adjusted according to the external noise level.
- Speech to text translation: This is done with the help of Google Speech Recognition. This requires an active internet connection to work. However, there are certain offline Recognition systems such as PocketSphinx, but have a very rigorous installation process that requires several dependencies. Google Speech Recognition is one of the easiest to use.
Translation of Speech to Text:
First, we need to import the library and then initialize it using
init() function. This function may take 2 arguments.
init(driverName string, debug bool)
- drivername: [Name of available driver] sapi5 on Windows | nsss on MacOS
- debug: to enable or disable debug output
After initialization, we will make the program speak the text using
This method may also take 2 arguments.
say(text unicode, name string)
- text: Any text you wish to hear.
- name: To set a name for this speech. (optional)
Finally, to run the speech we use
runAndWait() All the say() texts won’t be said unless the interpreter encounters
Below is the implementation.
Input: voice speech (Hi buddy how are you) Output: Did you say hi buddy how are you
- Speech Recognition in Python using Google Speech API
- Convert Text to Speech in Python
- Convert Text to Speech in Python using win32com.client
- Python Text To Speech | pyttsx module
- Speech To Text using IBM Watson Studio
- Convert Text and Text File to PDF using Python
- Python - Get Today's Current Day using Speech Recognition
- Convert emoji into text in Python
- twitter-text-python (ttp) module - Python
- How to Convert an image to NumPy array and saveit to CSV file using Python?
- Python Convert Html to PDF
- Convert CSV to HTML Table in Python
- Convert Python Script to .exe File
- Video to Audio convert using Python
- Convert HTML table into CSV file in python
- Fetching text from Wikipedia's Infobox in Python
- Python | Display text to PyGame window
- Python | Merge two text files
- Extract text from PDF File using Python
- Send Text messages to any mobile number using Fast2SMS API in Python
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.