Finding the text which is having nonstandard character encoding is a very common step to perform in text processing.
All the text would have been from utf-8 or ASCII encoding ideally but this might not be the case always. So, in such cases when the encoding is not known, such non-encoded text has to be detected and the be converted to a standard encoding. So, this step is important before processing the text further.
Charade Installation :
For performing the detection and conversion of encoding, charade – a Python library is required. This module can be simply installed using sudo easy_install charade or pip install charade.
Let’s see the wraper function around the charade module.
Code : encoding.detect(string), to detect the encoding
The detect functions will return 2 attributes :
Confidence : the probability of charade being correct. Encoding : which encoding it is.
Code : encoding.convert(string) to convert the encoding.
Code : Example
d1 is encoded as : (confidence': 0.505, 'encoding': 'utf-8') d2 is encoded as : ('confidence': 1.0, 'encoding': 'ascii')
detect() : It is a charade.detect() wrapper. It encodes the strings and handles the UnicodeDecodeError exceptions. It expects a bytes object so therefore the string is encoded before trying to detect the encoding.
convert() : It is a charade.convert() wrapper. It calls detect() first to get the encoding. Then, it returns a decoded string.
- Run Length Encoding in Python
- ML | One Hot Encoding of datasets in Python
- ML | Label Encoding of datasets in Python
- Python | Encoding Decoding using Matrix
- Python | C Strings of Doubtful Encoding | Set-1
- Python | C Strings of Doubtful Encoding | Set-2
- Python | Insert character after every character pair
- Python | Frequency of each character in String
- Python | Lowercase first character of String
- Python | Deleting all occurrences of character
- Ways to increment a character in Python
- Zip function in Python to change to a new character set
- Python | Remove last character in list of strings
- Python | Find position of a character in given string
- Ways to remove i'th character from string in Python
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.