The sample mean will approximately be normally distributed for large sample sizes, regardless of the distribution from which we are sampling.
Suppose we are sampling from a population with a finite mean and a finite standard-deviation(sigma). Then
Mean and standard deviation of the sampling distribution of the sample mean can be given as:
Where represents the sampling distribution of the sample mean of size n each, and are the mean and standard deviation of the population respectively.
The distribution of the sample tends towards the normal distribution as the sample size increases.
It is evident from the graphs that as we keep on increasing the sample size from 1 to 100 the histogram tends to take the shape of a normal distribution.
Rule of thumb:
Of course, the term “large” is relative. Roughly, the more “abnormal” the basic distribution, the larger n must be for normal approximations to work well. The rule of thumb is that a sample size n of at least 30 will suffice.
Why is this important?
The answer to this question is very simple, as we can often use well developed statistical inference procedures that are based on a normal distribution such as 68-95-99.7 rule and many others, even if we are sampling from a population that is not normal, provided we have a large sample size.
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course.
- Statistical Functions in Python | Set 1 (Averages and Measure of Central Location)
- Python - Non-Central T-Distribution in Statistics
- Python - Non-Central F-Distribution in Statistics
- Python - Non-Central Chi-squared Distribution in Statistics
- ML | Raw and Central Moments
- Python | sympy.limit() method
- Python | Handling recursion limit
- Python MySQL - Limit Clause
- Python MongoDB - Limit Query
- Python MariaDB - Limit Clause using PyMySQL
- PyQt5 - Setting limit to number of items in ComboBox
- PyQt5 - How to know maximum number of items limit in ComboBox
- Important differences between Python 2.x and Python 3.x with examples
- Python | Set 4 (Dictionary, Keywords in Python)
- Python | Sort Python Dictionaries by Key or Value
- Python | Merge Python key values to list
- Reading Python File-Like Objects from C | Python
- Python | Add Logging to a Python Script
- Python | Add Logging to Python Libraries