In this article we will see how user entered item don’t get added in the combo box i.e when user insert item in the editable combo box it do not get inserted at the any position of the drop down list, by default when user insert any item it get inserted at the bottom.
If we use normal i.e non editable combo box user is not able to add any item to the combo box, but editable combo box allow user to edit the item or search the item from the item list. Sometimes there is a need where combo box should be editable and also it do not insert any item for example in a combo box of selecting country, editable combo box will help of search country and it will not allow user to add another item.
In order to make combo box such that item inserted by user don’t get added in the drop down list we have to do the following –
1. Create a combo box
2. Make the combo box editable using setEditable method
3. Set insertion policy of combo box to do not insert
4. Create label
5. Retreive the insertion policy and show it with the help of label
Below is the implementation –
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course.
- PyQt5 ComboBox - User entered items store at top
- PyQt5 ComboBox – User entered items store at selected position
- PyQt5 ComboBox – User entered items store after the selected position
- PyQt5 ComboBox – User entered items store before the selected position
- PyQt5 ComboBox – User entered items store alphabetical order
- PyQt5 - Checking if drop down items are hidden or not in ComboBox
- PyQt5 - Setting tool tip to the view (drop-down) part of ComboBox
- PyQt5 - Setting tool tip duration to the view(drop-down) part of the ComboBox
- PyQt5 - Access tooltip duration to view(drop-down) of ComboBox
- PyQt5 - Access tooltip of view(drop-down) of ComboBox
- PyQt5 - How to hide the items from drop down box in Combo Box
- How to select a drop-down menu value using Selenium in Python?
- PyQt5 - Set background color to down arrow of ComboBox
- PyQt5 - Background color to down arrow of ComboBox when pressed
- PyQt5 - Set skin to the down-arrow of combobox
- PyQt5 – Set skin to the down-arrow of combobox when pressed
- PyQt5 ComboBox – Different border color to down arrow
- PyQt5 ComboBox – Different border color to down arrow when pressed
- PyQt5 ComboBox – Different border size to down arrow
- PyQt5 ComboBox – Different border size to down arrow when pressed
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.