Puzzle 1 : (Age) One Grandfather, One Father, and One Grand Son. Sum of their ages is 140 years. Grand son’s age in months is equal to Grandfathers age in years Grand son’s age in days is equal to Father’s age in weeks. Now, Find out the age of all three.
let x = grandfather’s age
let y =Father’s age and
let z = Grandson’s age .
Then, according to given conditions
3 z*365 = (y*365)/7 => y = 7z
solving these three equations we will get
x=84, y=49, z=7
Puzzle 2: (Time and Distance) Two workers, one old and one young, live together and work at the same office.The old man takes 30 mins where as the young man takes only 20 mins to reach the office.when will the young man catch up the old man, if the old man starts at 10.00am and the young man starts at 10.05am?
Let the distance be d KM
So, the speed of the younger worker is d/20 KM/minute and that of the older person is d/30 KM/minute
So, in t minutes the young man will cover (d/20)*t KM
But, by that time, the old man will get (t+5) minutes as he has left 5 minutes earlier when he will cover (d/30)*(t+5) KM
so we get
The young man catches up with the old man, if the distance covered by them are same.
Equating (1) and (2), we get t=10 minutes.
So they’ll meet 10 minutes after the young man starts his journey, i.e in 10:15 am.
Puzzle 3: (Guess the word) X is a 5 letter word.
2345 makes a country name
345 is the opposite of X(in meaning)
EXPLANATION : As mentioned 2345 makes a country name i.e OMAN
345 is opposite of x i.e Opposite of woman is Man
Therefore, answer is woman.
Puzzle 4: (Mystery) A wealthy man lives alone in a small cottage. Being partially handicapped, he had everything delivered to his cottage. The mailman was delivering a letter on Thursday when he noticed that the front door was ajar. Through the opening, he could see the man’s body lying in a pool of dried blood. When police officer arrived, he surveyed the scene. On the porch were two bottles of warm milk, Monday’s newspaper, a catalog, flyers, and an unopened mail. The police officer suspects it was foul play. Who does he suspect and why?
Solution :-The police officer suspects the newspaper delivery person. The absence of Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s newspaper indicates that the delivery person knew there was no one there to read it.
This article is contributed by ADITI SAINI. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Puzzles | (Cryptanalysis, Bottles Problem, Dinner Time, Mystery)
- Puzzle | Japanese Ship mystery
- Puzzle | Chemical Mystery
- Puzzles | (River Crossing, Starting Money, Earrings, Matching Pair)
- Puzzle 41 | (Guess Color of Hat)
- Puzzle | Guess the shape
- Puzzle | Guess the total number of coins
- Puzzle | Guess the bit string
- Puzzle | ( Distance, Time and Work)
- Puzzle 3 | (Calculate total distance travelled by bee)
- Puzzle | Minimum distance for Lizard
- Puzzle | Find The Probability of Distance in a Square
- Find time when hour and minute hands superimpose
- Puzzle | Best time to escape
- time.h localtime() function in C with Examples
- Puzzle | Minimum time required to make N Pancakes
- Number of containers that can be filled in the given time
- Maximum Bitwise AND pair (X, Y) from given range such that X and Y can be same
- Measuring 6L water from 4L and 9L buckets
- Missionaries and Cannibals