There are two tribes, “Lie tribe” and “Truth Tribe”. “Lie tribe”, as per the name, always lie and “Truth tribe” always speak the truth. You meet three of the persons from these tribes and ask the first person: “Which tribe do you belong to ?”. He replies something in his language which you don’t understand. Second person translates to you that, he is saying that he belongs to the “Lie Tribe”. Third person says that second person is lying.
Which tribe does the third person belong to?
Solution: Truth Tribe
Explanation: Since we don’t know to which tribe the first person belong to, let us assume that the first person is from “Truth tribe”, then he will claim that he is from the “truth tribe” (because he won’t lie), in which case the second person must be lying.
Now, assume that the first person is from “Lie tribe”. Even then, he will say that he belongs to the truth tribe (as he is a liar), so second person is lying again in this case as well.
Thus, third person is correct in both the scenarios, hence he belongs to “Truth Tribe”.
This article is contributed by Swapnika. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Puzzle | City of Truth and Lies
- Puzzle 34 | (Prisoner and Policeman Puzzle)
- Puzzle 51| Cheryl’s Birthday Puzzle and Solution
- Puzzle | 3 Priests and 3 devils Puzzle
- Puzzle 15 | (Camel and Banana Puzzle)
- Puzzle 24 | (10 Coins Puzzle)
- Puzzle 27 | (Hourglasses Puzzle)
- Puzzle 28 | (Newspaper Puzzle)
- Puzzle 29 | (Car Wheel Puzzle)
- Puzzle 31 | (Minimum cut Puzzle)
- Puzzle 33 | ( Rs 500 Note Puzzle )
- Puzzle 36 | (Matchstick Puzzle)
- Puzzle 38 | (Tic Tac Toe Puzzle)
- Puzzle 39 | (100 coins puzzle)
- Puzzle 81 | 100 people in a circle with gun puzzle
- Puzzle 85 | Chain Link Puzzle
- Puzzle | Elevator Puzzle
- Puzzle | Man fell in well Puzzle
- Puzzle 10 | (A Man with Medical Condition and 2 Pills)
- Puzzle 11 | (1000 Coins and 10 Bags)