Given 3N counters where N >= 1, there are three types of counters Red, White, and Blue all of them equal in count i.e., N and a rectangular board with 3 rows and N columns are filled with counters, the task is to rearrange the counters such that each column has counters of three different colors. The only operation allowed is to swap the counters in the same row. Design an algorithm to accomplish this task or prove that such an algorithm does not exist.
- For N = 1: The problem is trivial as all the 3 counters of a column are of different colors.
- For N > 1: The problem can be solved by arranging the counters of 3 different colors for the first column and then, solving for the smaller instance of the problem. Consider the first column. There are three possibilities:
- All three counters are of different colors: In this case, nothing needs to be done.
- Exactly two counters are of the same color: Let’s assume that the two counters of the same color are red, and they are in the first two rows, whereas the counter in the first row, the third column is white, as shown. Since there must be N blue counters on the board, and no more than N-1 of them can be in the third row, this implies that at least one counter of blue color must be in the first two rows. Hence, the required algorithm can scan the first two rows, starting from the second column until a blue column is encountered; after a blue counter is found, it should be swapped with the counter in the first column.
- All three counters are of the same colors: Let’s assume, that the three counters in the first column are red. This implies that each of the three rows now must now contain a at least one counter of a color other than the red, we can, therefore, scan any row, to obtain a counter of the different color and swap it with the counter in the first column to get the situation mentioned above.
- Puzzle | The Counters and Board
- Puzzle 48 | Rectangular Cardboard
- Puzzle 34 | (Prisoner and Policeman Puzzle)
- Puzzle 51| Cheryl’s Birthday Puzzle and Solution
- Puzzle | 3 Priests and 3 devils Puzzle
- Puzzle 15 | (Camel and Banana Puzzle)
- Puzzle 24 | (10 Coins Puzzle)
- Puzzle 27 | (Hourglasses Puzzle)
- Puzzle 28 | (Newspaper Puzzle)
- Puzzle 29 | (Car Wheel Puzzle)
- Puzzle 31 | (Minimum cut Puzzle)
- Puzzle 33 | ( Rs 500 Note Puzzle )
- Puzzle 36 | (Matchstick Puzzle)
- Puzzle 38 | (Tic Tac Toe Puzzle)
- Puzzle 39 | (100 coins puzzle)
- Puzzle 81 | 100 people in a circle with gun puzzle
- Puzzle 85 | Chain Link Puzzle
- Puzzle | Elevator Puzzle
- Puzzle | Man fell in well Puzzle
- Puzzle 10 | (A Man with Medical Condition and 2 Pills)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.