Geek got kidnapped by a gangster. The Gangster puts two bullets in consecutive order in an empty six-round revolver, spins it, points it at her head and shoots. She is still alive.
The Gangster then asked her,
“Do you want me to spin it again and fire or pull the trigger again right away?”
Q. Which option should be preferred? For each option, what is the probability that she’ll be shot?
The most important point here to consider is that the bullets were loaded adjacent to each other.
There are 6 ways to arrange the revolver with consecutive bullets. These are the possible scenarios:
But, the first shot went blank and hence the last two possibilities are of no use.
So, now the 4 possible arrangements of the consecutive bullets, considering the first blank attempt are:
Now, looking at the above possibilities, her odds of getting shot are 1/4 or 25%. (case: xBBxxx)
But if he re-spins, there are 2 bullets remaining and 6 total slots i.e. 2/6 or 33%.
So, she should prefer pulling the trigger again right away.
- Puzzle 15 | (Camel and Banana Puzzle)
- Puzzle 24 | (10 Coins Puzzle)
- Puzzle 27 | (Hourglasses Puzzle)
- Puzzle 28 | (Newspaper Puzzle)
- Puzzle 29 | (Car Wheel Puzzle)
- Puzzle 31 | (Minimum cut Puzzle)
- Puzzle 33 | ( Rs 500 Note Puzzle )
- Puzzle 34 | (Prisoner and Policeman Puzzle)
- Puzzle 36 | (Matchstick Puzzle)
- Puzzle 38 | (Tic Tac Toe Puzzle)
- Puzzle 39 | (100 coins puzzle)
- Puzzle 51| Cheryl’s Birthday Puzzle and Solution
- Puzzle 81 | 100 people in a circle with gun puzzle
- Puzzle 85 | Chain Link Puzzle
- Puzzle | Elevator Puzzle
- Puzzle | 3 Priests and 3 devils Puzzle
- Puzzle 1 | (How to Measure 45 minutes using two identical wires?)
- Puzzle 2 | (Find ages of daughters)
- Puzzle 3 | (Calculate total distance travelled by bee)
- Puzzle 4 | (Pay an employee using a 7 units gold rod?)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.