Question: In the middle of a round pool lies a beautiful water lily. The water lily doubles in size every day. After exactly 20 days, the lily will cover the complete pool. After how many days will the water lily cover half of the pool?
Answer: Because the water lily doubles its size every day and the complete pool is covered after 20 days, half of the pool will be covered one day before that, after 19 days.
Let the size of the lily be S in the beginning.
At day 2, the size of the lily = S x 2 = (2^1)(S) = 2(S)
At day 3, the size of the lily = 2(S) x 2 = (2^2)(S)= 4(S)
At day 4, the size of the lily = 4(S) x 2 = (2^3)(S) = 8(S)
At day 5, the size of the lily = 8(S) x 2 = (2^4)(S) = 16(S)
At day 19, the size of the lily = 131072(S) x 2 = (2^18)(S) = 262144(S)
At day 20, the size of the lily = 262144(S) x 2 = (2^19)(S) = 524288(S)
Therefore, the size of the pool = (2^19)(S)
Now, the size of half of the pool = (2^19)(S)/2 = (2^18)(S)
which is the size of the lily at the 19th day.
Hence, After 19 days, the water lily will cover half of the pool.
Conclusion: After 19 days, the water lily will cover half of the pool.
- Puzzle | Water Jug Problem
- Puzzle | Cylindrical Glass and Water Measurement
- Container with Most Water
- Measuring 6L water from 4L and 9L buckets
- Puzzle 51| Cheryl’s Birthday Puzzle and Solution
- Puzzle 15 | (Camel and Banana Puzzle)
- Puzzle 81 | 100 people in a circle with gun puzzle
- Puzzle 34 | (Prisoner and Policeman Puzzle)
- Puzzle | 3 Priests and 3 devils Puzzle
- Puzzle 85 | Chain Link Puzzle
- Puzzle 36 | (Matchstick Puzzle)
- Puzzle 39 | (100 coins puzzle)
- Puzzle | Elevator Puzzle
- Puzzle 33 | ( Rs 500 Note Puzzle )
- Puzzle 31 | (Minimum cut Puzzle)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.