Three identical boxes are kept in front of you but only one of them has a GIFT inside. Each Box is labeled with a statement but only one of the statement is true
Box 1 says the GIFT in this Box.
Box 2 says the GIFT not in this Box.
Box 3 says the GIFT not in Box 1.
Can you identify which Box has GIFT and which statement is true ?
Solution: Gift is in Box no. 2. Statement on Box no. 3 is true.
Analyze all statements one by one.
Case 1: Let Statement of Box-1 “GIFT in this Box” be true then Box 2 & 3 will be empty but Box-2 says the “GIFT not in this Box” which makes the statement true but puzzle says only one statement is true so clearly statement of Box-1 is invalid.
Case 2: If statement of Box-2 is true “Gift not in this Box” then other statements should be false according to puzzle. Statement of Box no. 3 says “GIFT not in Box no 1” which makes the statement of Box-3 true if the gift is in Box no. 3 and statement of Box no. 1 true if the gift is in Box no. 1. But according to puzzle only one statement is true so statement of Box-2 is also invalid.
Case 3: Let statement of Box-3 “GIFT not in Box-1” be true. Box-1 says “gift in this box” but since we assume statement of Box-3 is true and according to puzzle only one statement is true so statement of Box-1 is false and Gift is not in Box-1. Statement on Box-2 says “GIFT not in this box” but according to puzzle only one statement is true so this statement should be false which means gift is in Box-2. So, finally all conditions are full filled and we have found the gift is in Box-2 and statement of Box-3 is true.
This article is contributed by R_Raj. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Puzzle 1 | (How to Measure 45 minutes using two identical wires?)
- Puzzle 2 | (Find ages of daughters)
- Puzzle 3 | (Calculate total distance travelled by bee)
- Puzzle 4 | (Pay an employee using a 7 units gold rod?)
- Puzzle 13 | (100 Prisoners with Red/Black Hats)
- Puzzle 5 | (Finding the poisoned wine)
- Puzzle 6 | (Monty Hall problem)
- Puzzle 7 | (3 Bulbs and 3 Switches)
- Puzzle 8 | (Find the Jar with contaminated pills)
- Puzzle 9 | (Find the fastest 3 horses)
- Puzzle 10 | (A Man with Medical Condition and 2 Pills)
- Puzzle 11 | (1000 Coins and 10 Bags)
- Puzzle 12 | (Maximize probability of White Ball)
- Puzzle 14 | (Strategy for a 2 Player Coin Game)
- Puzzle 15 | (Camel and Banana Puzzle)