You have 20 white and 13 black balls in a bag. You pull out 2 balls one after another. If the balls are of same color, then you replace them with a white ball – but if they are of different color, you replace them with a black ball. Once you take out the balls, you do not put them back in the bag – so the balls keep reducing. What would be the color of the last ball remaining in the bag.
This puzzle looks like a difficult one, till you find out the solution. But, the minute you get the solution, you feel that this was dead simple. If you pull out 2 black balls, you replace them with a white ball. On the other hand, if you pull out one black and one white – you replace it with a black ball. So, the black balls would always be odd in numbers – either you remove 2 together or remove 1 and add 1 – so they remain odd always. Hence, the last ball to stay in the bag would be a black ball.
This article is contributed by Ajay Puri. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Puzzle | 10 Balls in 5 Lines
- Puzzle | 8 balls problem
- Puzzle | 9 Students and Red Black Hats
- Puzzle 12 | (Maximize probability of White Ball)
- Puzzle 13 | (100 Prisoners with Red/Black Hats)
- Puzzle 15 | (Camel and Banana Puzzle)
- Puzzle 34 | (Prisoner and Policeman Puzzle)
- Puzzle 51| Cheryl’s Birthday Puzzle and Solution
- Puzzle | 3 Priests and 3 devils Puzzle
- Puzzle 24 | (10 Coins Puzzle)
- Puzzle 27 | (Hourglasses Puzzle)
- Puzzle 28 | (Newspaper Puzzle)
- Puzzle 29 | (Car Wheel Puzzle)
- Puzzle 31 | (Minimum cut Puzzle)
- Puzzle 33 | ( Rs 500 Note Puzzle )
- Puzzle 36 | (Matchstick Puzzle)
- Puzzle 38 | (Tic Tac Toe Puzzle)
- Puzzle 81 | 100 people in a circle with gun puzzle
- Puzzle 85 | Chain Link Puzzle
- Puzzle | Elevator Puzzle