Ishita has 10 bags full of coins. Each bag contains 1000 coins. But one bag is full of forgeries, and she just can’t recall which one. She does know that genuine coins weigh 1 gram, but forgeries weigh 1.1 grams. To hide the fact that she can’t recall which bag contains forgeries, she needs your help. How can she identify the bag with the forgeries with just one weighing?
It is known that there is only one bag with forgeries. To identify that bag, Ishita can follow a simple procedure. She should take out 1 coin from the 1st bag, 2 coins from the 2nd bag, 3 coins from the 3rd bag and similarly 10 coins from the 10th bag.
Now she should simply weigh all these picked coins together.
If there were no forgeries, then the total weight should be (1+2+3+ . . . +10) = 55 grams.
Now, if the total weight comes out to be 55.3 then she can conclude that the 3rd bag contain forgeries. So, if the total weight is (55.n), then it is clear that the nth bag contain forgeries.
- Puzzle 1 | (How to Measure 45 minutes using two identical wires?)
- Puzzle 2 | (Find ages of daughters)
- Puzzle 3 | (Calculate total distance travelled by bee)
- Puzzle 4 | (Pay an employee using a 7 units gold rod?)
- Puzzle 13 | (100 Prisoners with Red/Black Hats)
- Puzzle 5 | (Finding the Injection for Anesthesia)
- Puzzle 6 | (Monty Hall problem)
- Puzzle 7 | (3 Bulbs and 3 Switches)
- Puzzle 8 | (Find the Jar with contaminated pills)
- Puzzle 9 | (Find the fastest 3 horses)
- Puzzle 10 | (A Man with Medical Condition and 2 Pills)
- Puzzle 11 | (1000 Coins and 10 Bags)
- Puzzle 12 | (Maximize probability of White Ball)
- Puzzle 14 | (Strategy for a 2 Player Coin Game)
- Puzzle 15 | (Camel and Banana Puzzle)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : Chinmoy Lenka