A seller has some quantity of rice with him. The seller offered his customer that if he/she buys half of the rice he has, he will give half kg of rice as a discount. The first customer accepts his offer and he purchased half of the rice and get half kg as extra. After selling the rice to the first customer he again makes the same offer for the second customer, and so on. The seller left with no quantity of rice after he made the fifth transaction.
Q. The initial quantity of rice the seller had?
Let us calculate the total kg of rice which seller has before each customer came for purchasing.
- Before fifth customer: (1/2 kg as a discount)*2 = 1
So before dealing with fifth customer seller should have 1kg.
- Before fourth customer: (1+(1/2 as a discount))*2 = 3
So before dealing with fourth customer seller should have 3kg.
- Before third customer: (3+(1/2 kg as a discount))*2 = 7
So before dealing with third customer seller should have 7 kg.
- Before second customer: (7+(1/2 as a discount))*2 = 15
So before dealing with second customer seller should have 15 kg.
- Before First customer: (15+(1/2 kg as a discount))*2 = 31
So before dealing with first customer seller should have 31 kg.
- Puzzle | Minimum number steps to weigh 1 kg rice with 1gm weight
- Puzzle 51| Cheryl’s Birthday Puzzle and Solution
- Puzzle 85 | Chain Link Puzzle
- Puzzle 81 | 100 people in a circle with gun puzzle
- Puzzle | 3 Priests and 3 devils Puzzle
- Puzzle 34 | (Prisoner and Policeman Puzzle)
- Puzzle 15 | (Camel and Banana Puzzle)
- Puzzle | Elevator Puzzle
- Puzzle 39 | (100 coins puzzle)
- Puzzle 36 | (Matchstick Puzzle)
- Puzzle 28 | (Newspaper Puzzle)
- Puzzle 33 | ( Rs 500 Note Puzzle )
- Puzzle 31 | (Minimum cut Puzzle)
- Puzzle 29 | (Car Wheel Puzzle)
- Puzzle 24 | (10 Coins Puzzle)
- Puzzle 27 | (Hourglasses Puzzle)
- Puzzle 38 | (Tic Tac Toe Puzzle)
- Puzzle | Bag of Coins
- Puzzle | Chaos in the bus
- Puzzle | Is it Raining
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.