A seller has some quantity of rice with him. The seller offered his customer that if he/she buys half of the rice he has, he will give half kg of rice as a discount. The first customer accepts his offer and he purchased half of the rice and get half kg as extra. After selling the rice to the first customer he again makes the same offer for the second customer, and so on. The seller left with no quantity of rice after he made the fifth transaction.
Q. The initial quantity of rice the seller had?
Let us calculate the total kg of rice which seller has before each customer came for purchasing.
- Before fifth customer: (1/2 kg as a discount)*2 = 1
So before dealing with fifth customer seller should have 1kg.
- Before fourth customer: (1+(1/2 as a discount))*2 = 3
So before dealing with fourth customer seller should have 3kg.
- Before third customer: (3+(1/2 kg as a discount))*2 = 7
So before dealing with third customer seller should have 7 kg.
- Before second customer: (7+(1/2 as a discount))*2 = 15
So before dealing with second customer seller should have 15 kg.
- Before First customer: (15+(1/2 kg as a discount))*2 = 31
So before dealing with first customer seller should have 31 kg.
- Puzzle 1 | (How to Measure 45 minutes using two identical wires?)
- Puzzle 2 | (Find ages of daughters)
- Puzzle 3 | (Calculate total distance travelled by bee)
- Puzzle 4 | (Pay an employee using a 7 units gold rod?)
- Puzzle 13 | (100 Prisoners with Red/Black Hats)
- Puzzle 5 | (Finding the poisoned wine)
- Puzzle 6 | (Monty Hall problem)
- Puzzle 7 | (3 Bulbs and 3 Switches)
- Puzzle 8 | (Find the Jar with contaminated pills)
- Puzzle 9 | (Find the fastest 3 horses)
- Puzzle 10 | (A Man with Medical Condition and 2 Pills)
- Puzzle 11 | (1000 Coins and 10 Bags)
- Puzzle 12 | (Maximize probability of White Ball)
- Puzzle 14 | (Strategy for a 2 Player Coin Game)
- Puzzle 15 | (Camel and Banana Puzzle)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.