Many students applied for a technical job for a month(April) but only two among them successfully completed the technical rounds. It was time for the final Interview. The interviewer asked both the students whether they would like to have 10 crores rupees for the month or, Re. 1 on day 1, Rs. 2 on day 2, Rs. 4 on day 3 , doubling up everyday till the last day of the month.
Student 1 chose 10 crore rupees. Student 2 chose the other option.
Which student made a better choice and how much was the profit?
Solution: Student 2 made a better choice.
Explanation: Student 1 chose 10 crore rupees. Congratulations to that student! It is a lot of money but about 97.4 crore rupees lesser than what student 2 had opted for.
Student 2 will get Re. 1 on day 1, Rs. 2 on day 2, Rs. 4 on day 3 ….The amount sequence is a geometric progression – 1,2,4,8,16,…..and so on.
Total no. of terms = 30 (April has 30 days)
G.P. summation formula for n terms having first term a and common ratio r : a( (r^n) -1 ) / (r-1)
Here a= 1 , r=2, n=30
Sum = (2^30 -1)/(2-1) = 1073741823
Profit = 1073741823 – 10,00,00,000 = 97,37,41,823
This puzzle is contributed by Feroz Baig. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Puzzle 24 | (10 Coins Puzzle)
- Puzzle 27 | (Hourglasses Puzzle)
- Puzzle 28 | (Newspaper Puzzle)
- Puzzle 29 | (Car Wheel Puzzle)
- Puzzle 31 | (Minimum cut Puzzle)
- Puzzle 33 | ( Rs 500 Note Puzzle )
- Puzzle 34 | (Prisoner and Policeman Puzzle)
- Puzzle 36 | (Matchstick Puzzle)
- Puzzle 38 | (Tic Tac Toe Puzzle)
- Puzzle 39 | (100 coins puzzle)
- Puzzle 51| Cheryl’s Birthday Puzzle and Solution
- Puzzle 81 | 100 people in a circle with gun puzzle
- Puzzle 85 | Chain Link Puzzle
- Puzzle | Elevator Puzzle
- Puzzle | 3 Priests and 3 devils Puzzle
- Puzzle | Man fell in well Puzzle
- Puzzle 15 | (Camel and Banana Puzzle)
- Puzzle 1 | (How to Measure 45 minutes using two identical wires?)
- Puzzle 2 | (Find ages of daughters)
- Puzzle 3 | (Calculate total distance travelled by bee)