In a Medical Laboratory, you have 240 Injections, one of which is for Anesthesia for a rat. After injecting, one rat fainted exactly in 24 hours. You have 5 rats whom you are willing to sacrifice in order to determine which injections contains the Anesthesia. How do you achieve this in 48 hours ?
Let us number the Injections with 5 digit numbers consisting of 0, 1 and 2. Let us number the Rats as 1, 10, 100, 1000, 10000.
Number 0 on a Injections represents the Anesthesia will not be inject to rat.
Number 1 on a Injections represents the Anesthesia will be injected to rat on 1st day.
Number 2 on a Injections represents the Anesthesia will be injected to rat on 2nd day (after 24 hours).
The action corresponding to the digit in the unit place will be executed by rat numbered 1.
The action corresponding to the digit in the tenth place will be executed by rat numbered 10.
The action corresponding to the digit in the 100th place will be executed by rat numbered 100.
The action corresponding to the digit in the 1000th place will be executed by rat numbered 1000.
The action corresponding to the digit in the 10000th place will be executed by rat numbered 10000.
Example: Let us say the Injection is numbered 11201. The Injections is injected on the first day to rat numbered 10000, 1000 and 1. It is injected on the second day to rat numbered 100. And it is not injected to rat numbered 10.
So if the rat numbered 10000, 1000 and 1 faints within first 24 hours, rat numbered 100 faints in the next 24 hours and the rat numbered 10 does not faint, then the Anesthesia Injection has to be 11201.
This way total number possible is,
= 3 * 3 * 3 * 3 * 3 = 3^5 = 243 Injections
So with the help of 5 rats and within 48 hours we will be able to find a Anesthesia Injection among 243 Injections.
Note – The language of this puzzle has been changed: rats from slaves, Anesthesia injection from poison, faint from death, etc.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Puzzle 1 | (How to Measure 45 minutes using two identical wires?)
- Puzzle 2 | (Find ages of daughters)
- Puzzle 3 | (Calculate total distance travelled by bee)
- Puzzle 4 | (Pay an employee using a 7 units gold rod?)
- Puzzle 13 | (100 Prisoners with Red/Black Hats)
- Puzzle 6 | (Monty Hall problem)
- Puzzle 7 | (3 Bulbs and 3 Switches)
- Puzzle 8 | (Find the Jar with contaminated pills)
- Puzzle 9 | (Find the fastest 3 horses)
- Puzzle 10 | (A Man with Medical Condition and 2 Pills)
- Puzzle 11 | (1000 Coins and 10 Bags)
- Puzzle 12 | (Maximize probability of White Ball)
- Puzzle 14 | (Strategy for a 2 Player Coin Game)
- Puzzle 15 | (Camel and Banana Puzzle)
- Puzzle 17 | (Ratio of Boys and Girls in a Country where people want only boys)
- Puzzle 16 | (100 Doors)
- Puzzle 18 | (Torch and Bridge)
- Puzzle 19 | (Poison and Rat)
- Puzzle 20 | (5 Pirates and 100 Gold Coins)
- Puzzle 21 | (3 Ants and Triangle)