There are two empty bowls in a room. You have 50 white balls and 50 black balls. After you place the balls in the bowls, a random ball will be picked from a random bowl. Distribute the balls (all of them) into the bowls to maximize the chance of picking a white ball.
First, let us assume that we divided the balls into jars equally so each jar will contain 50 balls.
So the probability of selecting a white ball will be=probability of selecting the first jar*probability of white ball in the first jar + probability of selecting the second jar*probability of white ball in the second jar
Since we have to maximize the probability so we will increase the probability of white ball in the first jar and keep the second probability same mean equal to 1
so we add 49 white balls with 50 black balls in the first jar and only one white ball in the second jar
so the probability will be now=
Therefore, probability of getting white ball becomes 1/2*1 + 1/2*49/99 which is approximately 3/4.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Puzzle 1 | (How to Measure 45 minutes using two identical wires?)
- Puzzle 2 | (Find ages of daughters)
- Puzzle 3 | (Calculate total distance travelled by bee)
- Puzzle 4 | (Pay an employee using a 7 units gold rod?)
- Puzzle 13 | (100 Prisoners with Red/Black Hats)
- Puzzle 5 | (Finding the Injection for Anesthesia)
- Puzzle 6 | (Monty Hall problem)
- Puzzle 7 | (3 Bulbs and 3 Switches)
- Puzzle 8 | (Find the Jar with contaminated pills)
- Puzzle 9 | (Find the fastest 3 horses)
- Puzzle 10 | (A Man with Medical Condition and 2 Pills)
- Puzzle 11 | (1000 Coins and 10 Bags)
- Puzzle 14 | (Strategy for a 2 Player Coin Game)
- Puzzle 15 | (Camel and Banana Puzzle)
- Puzzle 17 | (Ratio of Boys and Girls in a Country where people want only boys)
Improved By : puneet chamria