Spam is generally the unwanted bulk emails that come up from unsolicited sources. Spams are basically sent in huge numbers for commercial advertising. In this spamming huge amount of copies of the same message are sent to email users worldwide. It has been observed that the titles of these messages are very attractive and compel the receiver to read those messages. It is extremely a serious security concern since it can be used to deliver Trojan Horses, Viruses, Spyware, and organizes targeted phishing attacks.
Sometimes spam attackers keep on sending emails till the email server is out of disk or memory. This practice is called mail bombing.
Spam is basically irrelevant or unsolicited messages sent over the internet, typically to a large number of users, for the purposes of advertising, phishing, spreading malware, etc.
Identification of a Spam :
Here are some basic tips through which the user could identify spam messages :
- Messages that basically do not include your email address in the TO: or CC: fields are common forms of spam.
- The messages that contain poor spelling and grammar.
- The message is asking for your personal details for example your bank details or the pin number.
- The links in the message are dubious, for example, www.amazam.com instead of www.amazon.com.
- The actual email address does not match the name displayed, example the name displayed on the email is “Amazon Customer Services” but the actual email id is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Asking you to complete the action or the task, which you didn’t initiate, for example, it is showing to click on the link to get a lottery amount.
Protection Against Spam :
There is a certain method through which the user can protect himself from spam messages :
- Delete emails that are sent from completely unknown sources.
- Keep software and security patches up to date.
- If you suspect any spam message or email do not open any link.
- Install a good antivirus and spam filtering or blocking software.
- Do not buy anything advertised from spam emails.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.