Given a number n as the size of the matrix, the task is to print a spiral pattern in 2D array of size n.
Input: n = 5 Output: 1 2 3 4 5 16 17 18 19 6 15 24 25 20 7 14 23 22 21 8 13 12 11 10 9
Preview of the Spiral Pattern:
- Create a 2D array of size n
- Store the boundary of the array in boundary variable. Initially it will be n-1 and thereafter it changes after every rotation.
- Store the size left for the spiral printing in variable sizeLeft. Initially it will be n-1 and thereafter it will decrease by 1 after every 2 rotations.
- Create a flag to determine 2 rotations, as after every 2 rotations, the sizeLeft will decrease.
- Create a char variable move to store the current movement of the spiral pattern. It can have ‘r’ for right, ‘l’ for left, ‘d’ for down, and ‘u’ for up.
- Repeat the below steps till ‘i’ is in range [1, n^2]:
- Assign the value of i to the spiral pattern.
- Determine the next movement of the pattern.
- Check for pattern to reach boundary. If reached, modify the sizes and rotate the spiral pattern.
- Print the Spiral Pattern stored in the 2D array.
Below is Java implementation of the above approach:
1 2 3 4 5 16 17 18 19 6 15 24 25 20 7 14 23 22 21 8 13 12 11 10 9
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Program to Print the Trapezium Pattern
- Program to print Hut Star pattern
- Spiral Pattern
- Program to print numbers with diamond pattern
- Program to print Inverse Diamond pattern
- Java Program to Print a Square Pattern for given integer
- Print a given matrix in spiral form
- Print a given matrix in reverse spiral form
- Print n x n spiral matrix using O(1) extra space
- Print K'th element in spiral form of matrix
- Print a matrix in a spiral form starting from a point
- Print a given matrix in spiral form using direction tracking method
- Print a given matrix in counter-clock wise spiral form
- Print matrix in diagonal pattern
- Print Triangle separated pattern
- Print matrix in snake pattern
- Print matrix in snake pattern from the last column
- Print concentric rectangular pattern in a 2d matrix
- Print numbers in matrix diagonal pattern
- Java Program for KMP Algorithm for Pattern Searching
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.