Solution: Looking closely at the chessboard we can see that in addition to the 1 x 1 squares, there can be a combination of 2 x 2, 3 x 3, 4 x 4, 5 x 5, 6 x 6, 7 x 7, and 8 x 8 squares too. To get the total number of squares we need to find all the squares formed.
1 x 1: 8 * 8 = 64 squares. 2 x 2: 7 * 7 = 49 squares. 3 x 3: 6 * 6 = 36 squares. 4 x 4: 5 * 5 = 25 squares. 5 x 5: 4 * 4 = 16 squares. 6 x 6: 3 * 3 = 9 squares. 7 x 7: 2 * 2 = 4 squares. 8 x 8: 1 * 1 = 1 square.
Therefore, we have in all = 64 + 49 + 36 + 25 + 16 + 9 + 4 + 1 = 204 squares in a chessboard.
Given an n x n grid, count squares in it.
Input: n = 2 Output: 5 (4 squares of 1 unit + 1 square of 2 units) Input: n = 3 Output: 14 (9 squares of 1 unit + 4 square of 2 units + 1 square of 1 unit)
For a grid of size n*n the total number of squares formed are:
1^2 + 2^2 + 3^2 + ... + n^2 = n(n+1)(2n+1) / 6
Below is the implementation of the above formula. Since the value of n*(n+1)*(2n+1) can cause overflow for large values of n, below are some interesting tricks used in the program.
- long int is used in return.
- n * (n + 1) / 2 is evaluated first as the value n*(n+1) will always be a multiple of 2.
Note that overflow may still happen, but above tricks just reduce chances of overflow.
Count of squares is 30
This article is contributed by Rishabh. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Count squares with odd side length in Chessboard
- Program to count number of distinct Squares and Cubes upto N
- Find the number of squares inside the given square grid
- Minimum number of squares whose sum equals to given number n
- Find a point that lies inside exactly K given squares
- Find the side of the squares which are inclined diagonally and lined in a row
- Count number of squares in a rectangle
- Number of perfect squares between two given numbers
- Square pyramidal number (Sum of Squares)
- Check whether a number can be represented by sum of two squares
- Paper Cut into Minimum Number of Squares
- Number of ways of writing N as a sum of 4 squares
- Find the side of the squares which are lined in a row, and distance between the centers of first and last square is given
- C program to find Decagonal Number
- Program to find Star number