Given an octal number as input, we need to write a program to convert the given octal number into equivalent decimal number.
Input : 67 Output : 55 Input : 512 Output : 330 Input: 123 Output: 83
The idea is to extract the digits of given octal number starting from right most digit and keep a variable dec_value. At the time of extracting digits from the octal number, multiply the digit with the proper base (Power of 8) and add it to the variable dec_value. At the end, the variable dec_value will store the required decimal number.
If the octal number is 67.
dec_value = 6*(8^1) + 7*(8^0) = 55
Below diagram explains how to convert octal number ( 123 ) to equivalent decimal value:
Below is the implementation of above idea.
This article is contributed by Harsh Agarwal. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Program for Decimal to Octal Conversion
- Decimal to octal conversion with minimum use of arithmetic operators
- 8086 program to convert a 16 bit Decimal number to Octal
- Check if Decimal representation of an Octal number is divisible by 7
- Program for Binary To Decimal Conversion
- Program for Decimal to Binary Conversion
- Decimal to binary conversion without using arithmetic operators
- Program to Convert Octal Number to Binary Number
- Program to Convert Hexadecimal to Octal
- Largest N digit Octal number which is a Perfect square
- Arithmetic Operations of Octal Numbers
- Convert a binary number to octal
- Octal equivalents of connected components in Binary valued graph
- Program for conversion of 32 Bits Single Precision IEEE 754 Floating Point Representation
- Program for Hexadecimal to Decimal
- Python program to convert decimal to binary number
- Recursive Program for Binary to Decimal
- 8086 program to Print a 16 bit Decimal number
- 8086 program to convert a 16 bit decimal number to binary
- 8086 program to convert a 16 bit decimal number to Hexadecimal