Program for Gauss-Jordan Elimination Method
Prerequisite : Gaussian Elimination to Solve Linear Equations
Introduction : The Gauss-Jordan method, also known as Gauss-Jordan elimination method is used to solve a system of linear equations and is a modified version of Gauss Elimination Method.
It is similar and simpler than Gauss Elimination Method as we have to perform 2 different process in Gauss Elimination Method i.e.
1) Formation of upper triangular matrix, and
2) Back substitution
But in case of Gauss-Jordan Elimination Method, we only have to form a reduced row echelon form (diagonal matrix). Below given is the flow-chart of Gauss-Jordan Elimination Method.
Flow Chart of Gauss-Jordan Elimination Method :
Input : 2y + z = 4 x + y + 2z = 6 2x + y + z = 7 Output : Final Augumented Matrix is : 1 0 0 2.2 0 2 0 2.8 0 0 -2.5 -3 Result is : 2.2 1.4 1.2
Explanation : Below given is the explanation of the above example.
- Input Augmented Matrix is :
- Interchanging R1 and R2, we get
- Performing the row operation R3 <- R3 – (2*R1)
- Performing the row operations R1 <- R1 – ((1/2)* R2) and R3 <- R3 + ((1/2)*R2)
- Performing R1 <- R1 + ((3/5)*R3) and R2 <- R2 + ((2/5)*R3)
- Unique Solutions are :
Final Augumented Matrix is : 1 0 0 2.2 0 2 0 2.8 0 0 -2.5 -3 Result is : 2.2 1.4 1.2
- Solving System of Linear Equations: Gauss-Jordan Elimination Method can be used for finding the solution of a systems of linear equations which is applied throughout the mathematics.
- Finding Determinant: The Gaussian Elimination can be applied to a square matrix in order to find determinant of the matrix.
- Finding Inverse of Matrix: The Gauss-Jordan Elimination method can be used in determining the inverse of a square matrix.
- Finding Ranks and Bases: Using reduced row echelon form, the ranks as well as bases of square matrices can be computed by Gaussian elimination method.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course.