Prerequisite : Gaussian Elimination to Solve Linear Equations
Introduction : The Gauss-Jordan method, also known as Gauss-Jordan elimination method is used to solve a system of linear equations and is a modified version of Gauss Elimination Method.
It is similar and simpler than Gauss Elimination Method as we have to perform 2 different process in Gauss Elimination Method i.e.
1) Formation of upper triangular matrix, and
2) Back substitution
But in case of Gauss-Jordan Elimination Method, we only have to form a reduced row echelon form (diagonal matrix). Below given is the flow-chart of Gauss-Jordan Elimination Method.
Flow Chart of Gauss-Jordan Elimination Method :
Input : 2y + z = 4 x + y + 2z = 6 2x + y + z = 7 Output : Final Augumented Matrix is : 1 0 0 2.2 0 2 0 2.8 0 0 -2.5 -3 Result is : 2.2 1.4 1.2
Explanation : Below given is the explanation of the above example.
Final Augumented Matrix is : 1 0 0 2.2 0 2 0 2.8 0 0 -2.5 -3 Result is : 2.2 1.4 1.2
- Solving System of Linear Equations : Gauss-Jordan Elimination Method can be used for finding the solution of a systems of linear equations which is applied throughout the mathematics.
- Finding Determinant : The Gaussian Elimination can be applied to a square matrix in order to find determinant of the matrix.
- Finding Inverse of Matrix : The Gauss-Jordan Elimination method can be used in determining the inverse of a square matrix.
- Finding Ranks and Bases : Using reduced row echelon form, the ranks as well as bases of square matrices can be computed by Gaussian elimination method.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Gaussian Elimination to Solve Linear Equations
- Program for Muller Method
- Program for Bisection Method
- Program for Newton Raphson Method
- Program to find root of an equations using secant method
- Program for Picard's iterative method | Computational Mathematics
- Transportation Problem | Set 6 (MODI Method - UV Method)
- C program to calculate the value of nPr
- Program to calculate value of nCr
- Program to add two polynomials
- Program to add two fractions
- Program to compare m^n and n^m
- Program for sum of cos(x) series
- Program to find value of 1^k + 2^k + 3^k + ... + n^k
- Program to find sum of 1 + x/2! + x^2/3! +...+x^n/(n+1)!
- Program for n-th odd number
- Program for n-th even number
- Python program to add two Matrices
- Program for Identity Matrix
- Program to find the sum of a Series 1/1! + 2/2! + 3/3! + 4/4! +.......+ n/n!
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.