Given two points P and Q in the coordinate plane, find the equation of the line passing through both the points.
Input : P(3, 2) Q(2, 6) Output : 4x + 1y = 14 Input : P(0, 1) Q(2, 4) Output : 3x + -2y = -2
Let the given two points be P(x1, y1) and Q(x2, y2). Now, we find the equation of line formed by these points.
Any line can be represented as,
ax + by = c
Let the two points satisfy the given line. So, we have,
ax1 + by1 = c
ax2 + by2 = c
We can set the following values so that all the equations hold true,
a = y2 - y1 b = x1 - x2 c = ax1 + by1
These can be derived by first getting the slope directly and then finding the intercept of the line. OR these can also be derived cleverly by a simple observation as under:
ax1 + by1 = c ...(i) ax2 + by2 = c ...(ii) Equating (i) and (ii), ax1 + by1 = ax2 + by2 => a(x1 - x2) = b(y2 - y1) Thus, for equating LHS and RHS, we can simply have, a = (y2 - y1) AND b = (x1 - x2) so that we have, (y2 - y1)(x1 - x2) = (x1 - x2)(y2 - y1) AND Putting these values in (i), we get, c = ax1 + by1
Thus, we now have the values of a, b and c which means that we have the line in the coordinate plane.
The line passing through points P and Q is: 4x + 1y = 14
This article is contributed by Aanya Jindal. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Program to find equation of a plane passing through 3 points
- Find points at a given distance on a line of given slope
- Program to find the mid-point of a line
- Program to find slope of a line
- Represent a given set of points by the best possible straight line
- Check whether two points (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) lie on same side of a given line or not
- Count maximum points on same line
- Number of horizontal or vertical line segments to connect 3 points
- Number of ordered points pair satisfying line equation
- Program for distance between two points on earth
- Program to check if three points are collinear
- Program to check whether 4 points in a 3-D plane are Coplanar
- Find Corners of Rectangle using mid points
- Find K Closest Points to the Origin
- Find the other end point of a line with given one end and mid