Problem Statement: Two persons are supposed to meet a spot in a time interval of one hour. The person who comes first will wait for a maximum of 15 minutes for the second person. What is the probability that they will meet?
Solution: The question can be solved in many ways. Let’s discuss one of them:
It is assumed that the first man arrives the spot during the first 45 minutes i.e first 3/4 hour. The probability that he will arrive during the first 45 minutes is
Then he will wait for 15 minutes and probability that the second person ill come in next 15 minutes is
Hence if the first person comes during first 15 minutes, probability that they meet each other is
If the first person does not come during first 45 minutes, he will come at next 15 minutes . Probability that he comes during the last 15 minutes is
If he comes during last 15 minutes, he waits for hours on average.
(This can be shown by the following logic).
Suppose he arrives at the 45th minute. Then he will wait for the next 15 minutes which has a probability of . Again if he arrives at 60th minute he will not wait anymore.
So In case, the first person comes during the last 15 minutes, the probability that the next person comes is .
So, in this case probability that they will meet each other is .
So, the total probability that they will meet is .
Note that any person can come before anyone. But we have considered only one case.
So, the total probability that they will meet each other is .
- Time taken by two persons to meet on a circular track
- Time required to meet in equilateral triangle
- Find if two people ever meet after same number of jumps
- Check if two people starting from different points ever meet
- Maximize the total profit of all the persons
- Permutations to arrange N persons around a circular table
- Maximum number of teams that can be formed with given persons
- Minimum time required to complete a work by N persons together
- Probability of rain on N+1th day
- Probability of a key K present in array
- Probability of getting more value in third dice throw
- Aptitude | Probability | Question 6
- Aptitude | Probability | Question 3
- Aptitude | Probability | Question 4
- Aptitude | Probability | Question 5
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : zippa1993