Let’s first analyze the following question:
Can we have private constructors ?
As you can easily guess, like any method we can provide access specifier to the constructor. If it’s made private, then it can only be accessed inside the class.
Do we need such ‘private constructors ‘ ?
There are various scenarios where we can use private constructors. The major ones are
- Internal Constructor chaining
- Singleton class design pattern
What is a Singleton class?
As the name implies, a class is said to be singleton if it limits the number of objects of that class to one.
We can’t have more than a single object for such classes.
Singleton classes are employed extensively in concepts like Networking and Database Connectivity.
Design Pattern of Singleton classes:
The constructor of singleton class would be private so there must be another way to get the instance of that class. This problem is resolved using a class member instance and a factory method to return the class member.
Below is an example in java illustrating the same:
Value of a.x = 20 Value of b.x = 20
We changed value of a.x, value of b.x also got updated because both ‘a’ and ‘b’ refer to same object, i.e., they are objects of a singleton class.
This article is contributed by Ashutosh Kumar Singh. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article and mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Java and Collections concepts with the Fundamentals of Java and Java Collections Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Singleton and Prototype Bean Scopes in Java Spring
- Collections.singleton() method in Java with example
- Singleton Class in Java
- How to prevent Singleton Pattern from Reflection, Serialization and Cloning?
- Singleton Design Pattern | Implementation
- Singleton Design Pattern | Introduction
- Private and final methods in Java
- Inheritance and constructors in Java
- Order of execution of Initialization blocks and Constructors in Java
- Can we override private methods in Java?
- Private Methods in Java 9 Interfaces
- Replacing 'public' with 'private' in "main" in Java
- How to call private method from another class in Java with help of Reflection API?
- StringTokenizer class in Java with example | Set 1 ( Constructors)
- Constructors in Java
- Java Interview Questions on Constructors
- Output of Java Programs | Set 14 (Constructors)
- Why Constructors are not inherited in Java?
- Difference between the Constructors and Methods
- Parent and Child classes having same data member in Java