Given a string of lower alphabetic characters, find K-th character in a string formed by substrings (of given string) when concatenated in sorted form.
Input : str = “banana” K = 10 Output : n All substring in sorted form are, "a", "an", "ana", "anan", "anana", "b", "ba", "ban", "bana", "banan", "banana", "n", "na", "nan", "nana" Concatenated string = “aananaanana nanabbabanbanabananbananannanannana” We can see a 10th character in the above concatenated string is ‘n’ which is our final answer.
A simple solution is to generate all substrings of a given string and store them in an array. Once substrings are generated, sort them and concatenate after dorting. Finally print K-th character in the concatenated string.
An efficient solution is based om counting distinct substring of a string using suffix array. Same method is used in solving this problem also. After getting suffix array and lcp array, we loop over all lcp values and for each such value, we calculate characters to skip. We keep subtracting these many characters from our K, when character to skip becomes more than K, we stop and loop over substrings corresponding to current lcp[i], in which we loop from lcp[i] till the maximum length of string and then print the Kth character.
This article is contributed by Utkarsh Trivedi. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Nth character in Concatenated Decimal String
- Print the final string when minimum value strings get concatenated in every operation
- Program to print all substrings of a given string
- Count substrings that starts with character X and ends with character Y
- Print last character of each word in a string
- Print the first and last character of each word in a String
- Print the string after the specified character has occurred given no. of times
- Print the string by ignoring alternate occurrences of any character
- Print array of strings in sorted order without copying one string into another
- Concatenated string with uncommon characters in Python
- Concatenated string with uncommon characters of two strings
- Maximum Consecutive Zeroes in Concatenated Binary String
- Count all substrings having character K
- Number of substrings with count of each character as k
- Count of substrings which contains a given character K times