Given a string of length n, print all permutation of the given string. Repetition of characters is allowed. Print these permutations in lexicographically sorted order
Input: AB Ouput: All permutations of AB with repetition are: AA AB BA BB Input: ABC Output: All permutations of ABC with repetition are: AAA AAB AAC ABA ... ... CCB CCC
For an input string of size n, there will be n^n permutations with repetition allowed. The idea is to fix the first character at first index and recursively call for other subsequent indexes. Once all permutations starting with the first character are printed, fix the second character at first index. Continue these steps till last character. Thanks to PsychoCoder for providing following C implementation.
All permutations with repetition of ABC are: AAA AAB AAC ABA ABB ABC ACA ACB ACC BAA BAB BAC BBA BBB BBC BCA BCB BCC CAA CAB CAC CBA CBB CBC CCA CCB CCC
Fundamentals of Programming with C
Free Online Course By GeeksforGeeks
Following is recursion tree for input string “AB”. The purpose of recursion tree is to help in understanding the above implementation as it shows values of different variables.
data="" / \ / \ index=0 index=0 i=0 i=1 data="A" data="B" / \ / \ / \ / \ index=1 index=1 index=1 index=1 i=0 i=1 i=0 i=1 data="AA" data="AB" data="BA" data="BB"
In the above implementation, it is assumed that all characters of the input string are different. The implementation can be easily modified to handle the repeated characters. We have to add a preprocessing step to find unique characters (before calling allLexicographicRecur()).
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- K length words that can be formed from given characters without repetition
- Print the two possible permutations from a given sequence
- Print all permutations of a number N greater than itself
- Print k different sorted permutations of a given array
- Print all palindrome permutations of a string
- Print all permutations of a string in Java
- Iterative approach to print all permutations of an Array
- Print all lexicographical greater permutations of a given string
- Print all distinct permutations of a given string with duplicates
- Write a program to print all permutations of a given string
- Print all permutations in sorted (lexicographic) order
- Print all the palindromic permutations of given string in alphabetic order
- Java Program to print distinct permutations of a string
- Print first n distinct permutations of string using itertools in Python
- Print distinct sorted permutations with duplicates allowed in input
- Find Kth largest string from the permutations of the string with two characters
- Generate all binary permutations such that there are more or equal 1's than 0's before every point in all permutations
- Print consecutive characters together in a line
- Print all possible strings of length k that can be formed from a set of n characters
- Print Longest substring without repeating characters