Given a binary tree and a node in the binary tree, find Preorder predecessor of the given node.
Consider the following binary tree 20 / \ 10 26 / \ / \ 4 18 24 27 / \ 14 19 / \ 13 15 Input : 4 Output : 10 Preorder traversal of given tree is 20, 10, 4, 18, 14, 13, 15, 19, 26, 24, 27. Input : 19 Output : 15
A simple solution is to first store Preorder traversal of the given tree in an array then linearly search given node and print node next to it.
Time Complexity : O(n)
Auxiliary Space : O(n)
An efficient solution is based on below observations.
- If the given node is root, then return NULL as preorder predecessor.
- If node is the left child of its parent or left child of parent is NULL, then return parent as its preorder predecessor.
- If node is the right child of its parent and left child of parent exists, then predecessor would be the rightmost node (max value) of the left subtree of parent.
- If node is the right child of its parent and the parent has no left child, then predecessor would be the parent node (max value).
Preorder predecessor of 19 is 15
Time Complexity : O(h) where h is height of given Binary Tree
Auxiliary Space : O(1) since no use of arrays, stacks, queues.
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- Level Order Predecessor of a node in Binary Tree
- Postorder predecessor of a Node in Binary Search Tree
- Replace each node in binary tree with the sum of its inorder predecessor and successor
- Preorder Successor of a Node in Binary Tree
- Find n-th node in Preorder traversal of a Binary Tree
- Construct Full Binary Tree using its Preorder traversal and Preorder traversal of its mirror tree
- Check if a binary tree is subtree of another binary tree using preorder traversal : Iterative
- Calculate depth of a full Binary tree from Preorder
- Modify a binary tree to get preorder traversal using right pointers only
- Construct Full Binary Tree from given preorder and postorder traversals
- Leaf nodes from Preorder of a Binary Search Tree (Using Recursion)
- Check if a given array can represent Preorder Traversal of Binary Search Tree
- Search a node in Binary Tree
- Kth ancestor of a node in binary tree | Set 2
- Get Level of a node in a Binary Tree
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.