Given a binary tree and a node in the binary tree, find Preorder predecessor of the given node.
Consider the following binary tree 20 / \ 10 26 / \ / \ 4 18 24 27 / \ 14 19 / \ 13 15 Input : 4 Output : 10 Preorder traversal of given tree is 20, 10, 4, 18, 14, 13, 15, 19, 26, 24, 27. Input : 19 Output : 15
A simple solution is to first store Preorder traversal of the given tree in an array then linearly search given node and print node next to it.
Time Complexity : O(n)
Auxiliary Space : O(n)
An efficient solution is based on below observations.
- If the given node is root, then return NULL as preorder predecessor.
- If node is the left child of its parent or left child of parent is NULL, then return parent as its preorder predecessor.
- If node is the right child of its parent and left child of parent exists, then predecessor would be the rightmost node (max value) of the left subtree of parent.
- If node is the right child of its parent and the parent has no left child, then predecessor would be the parent node (max value).
Preorder predecessor of 19 is 15
Time Complexity : O(h) where h is height of given Binary Tree
Auxiliary Space : O(1) since no use of arrays, stacks, queues.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Construct Full Binary Tree using its Preorder traversal and Preorder traversal of its mirror tree
- Replace each node in binary tree with the sum of its inorder predecessor and successor
- Level Order Predecessor of a node in Binary Tree
- Postorder predecessor of a Node in Binary Search Tree
- Check if a binary tree is subtree of another binary tree using preorder traversal : Iterative
- Preorder Successor of a Node in Binary Tree
- Find n-th node in Preorder traversal of a Binary Tree
- Inorder predecessor and successor for a given key in BST
- Check if a given array can represent Preorder Traversal of Binary Search Tree
- Calculate depth of a full Binary tree from Preorder
- Leaf nodes from Preorder of a Binary Search Tree (Using Recursion)
- Modify a binary tree to get preorder traversal using right pointers only
- Construct Full Binary Tree from given preorder and postorder traversals
- Find Leftmost and Rightmost node of BST from its given preorder traversal
- Tree Traversals (Inorder, Preorder and Postorder)
- Construct Tree from given Inorder and Preorder traversals
- Construct a special tree from given preorder traversal
- Construct the full k-ary tree from its preorder traversal
- Check if given Preorder, Inorder and Postorder traversals are of same tree
- Iterative Preorder Traversal of an N-ary Tree
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.